quick help needed on which s/h gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Andy99, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Andy99 Forum Member

I need to get hold of a s/h gearbox for my 1990 mk2 golf gti 8v.

which code do i need to look out for in the scrap yards, an 020? I assume the 8v and 16v have different ratios and clutch fittings?

Also is there any way to tell if its a good 'box or if its shagged before i buy and fit it?

cheers for any help

2. domma Forum Member

MK2 box i have on my MK1 is an 020 so yeah thats what your after!

If the box has been sprayed with black paint its a good indication its a recon box! More likely bad news than good news. Check general condition! see if the oil seals are leaking from behind the drive shaft cups!

Domma.........

3. jake Forum Member

My 8v has an ACD code box for reference also the AUG is similar (from a late scirocco), also the 16v has lower ratios and a bigger input shaft so it'll need a clutch froma 16v but it'll fit a treat, just make it rev hard at cruising speed on the motorways. get one from a gti as the others have unevenspacies between the ratios making the acceleration a bit slower in some gears.

4. jake Forum Member

also they are all 020 boxes, the ratios are indicated by the code stamped on the flat part of the bell housing at the bottom. unless it is on a 1.1 or 1.3 car in which case ignore it.....

5. Andy99 Forum Member

cheers,is it only the clutch that is different on the 16v box, ie the drive shafts will still fit?

6. jake Forum Member

yup! and even if by some wierd chance they dont then you can swap
    the flanges in minutes if its not on the car.