Quick query on minor headlining issue

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by costel1969, Dec 14, 2023.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Folks,

Quick question, the front of the headliner by the windscreen has started to separate just a little, what would would be your go-to product to resecure it. It's only about 6-8 mm and runs from the front right pillar for about 15-20 cms.

Cheers

2. Matt Golf Forum Member

That carpet stuff that is on a reel, its like double sided extra strong extra wide. If you use glue it might show through the material. If you use glue got the high temp trim fix but its a bit wild on the spray.

But this is probably beginning of the end of the headliner.....

3. costel1969

I'm going to challenge the beginning of the end - I will sort this out.

Do you have a link/image of the stuff you're talking about?

4. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

It's better that it's going at the front rather than the back as at the front you have things holding it up - sun visor clips and the like.

I would brush on some fabric adhesive to fix your issue - what I did when I fit my new one was spray some of the aerosol adhesive into a pot and brush it on on the delicate areas (round where the sunroof aperture is) as you have little control over the spray stuff straight out the can and that shit gets everywhere (and is a bitch to remove from anything you don't want it on)

5. costel1969

There is no issue by the sunroof or anywhere else, there is just something like a very slight unfolding that runs parallel to the sunroof for about 7 or 8 inches on the drivers side.
    Good shout on the contact adhesive.

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I mentioned the sunroof area just as comparison as an area you would want a bit more control rather than using the spray,my point was use a brush as easier to direct to where its needed :-)

7. watercooled Forum Member

Any repair can only be short term as once it starts on one spot it just continues to get worse in other area's ,the rear section will most likely be next ,ask me how I know .
    By all means try it but had this issue will 2 Golfs ,I do all my interior work with Ados F-38 ,contractor grade high temp and waterproof , sorry to sound negitive but once the foam backing breaks down its all over ,cheers.

8. costel1969

I should have taken photos of what exactly is going on, but I can't see/feel any foam (that's not to say it isn't there). It is just a tiny bit of the cloth material that has come away. I'm well aware of what the headliners are capable of, my old 16V project had a lovely Bedouin Tent going on in the rear before I moved it on.
    I will check out Ados F-38 per your recommendation.
    Cheers

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The foam sandwiched between headliner and cloth. The adhesive doesn't fail but the foam sandwiched in the middle does.

I've not decided what to do, would love a carbon fibre headliner!.

Mine fell to bits when removing it so it went in the bin.

Have watched videos of people repairing the roof liner shell with fibreglass but seems a hiding to nowhere.

Attached Files:

10. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

It’s a real bummer. Especially when you I gave up glueing it more and more and it looking worse and worse then buying a fibreglass replacement one which will last forever (their marketing words by the way) and cutting out the flipping sunroof aperture wrong so it again looks gash![:D]

KeithMac likes this.
  11. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

When we bought our car the headliner was already out of the car and stripped of whatever material had been on it. It was broken in a couple of places but essentially whole. I watched a video about how to repair it. I repaired it with copious amounts of superglue which strengthened the shell pretty well. I then used car body filler to fill and smooth where the shell had deteriorated. We then re-covered it with a fabric and foam combination using about 3 tins of high temperature adhesive. All in all we spent about half the cost of a new preformed one off eBay or wherever.
    It looks really good.
    Would I do it again. No definitely not. It simply isn’t worth the time and effort and huge amounts of filler dust and glue fumes. I’d buy a new one every time in the future :lol:

KeithMac likes this.
  12. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Gluing etc just delays the inevitable sadly. A new one is fit + forget.

PO of my mk2 held the cloth up in the back with shallow self tappers, which when the fabric dropped around them gave a nice chesterfield sofa effect :-)

13. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I watched the same, im all for repairing what you have but when the materials cost come in at halfway towards a new one (which will ALWAYS look superior no matter how skilled you are) plus 10+ hours of your life you will never get back its a no brainer for me - throw the old poppadom headliner in the bin

KeithMac and PhilRyder like this.