R.I.P to my friends mk2 vr6

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by baker57, Jul 11, 2009.

1. baker57 Forum Member

If you are using all that extra performance, you may discover that you are using the brakes far more frequently - and if on track, you will be attempting to slow the car down from higher speeds that were achievable before the modifications had been performed. This means more heat. Larger rotors and pads have much better heat dissipation properties. Result: less brake fade and less disc and pad wear.
    Larger rotors mean that the calipers biting on the rotors have more leverage. The upshot of this is that maximum retardation can be more rapidly applied, and requires less pedal effort. This is most noticeable from very high speeds where more force may be required to slow the rotational velocity of the road wheels. This can result in shorter stopping distances and less chance of brake lock- but largely this is dependent upon how effective your old standard brakes were!
    Uprated calipers using multi-pot designs (such as AP racing/ HiSpec/Wilwood/ Brembo etc that all have 4 or more pots per caliper) offer improved pad stability. The benefit of this is that the pad is less likely to rotate in the caliper resulting in 'taper-wear' where the leading edge of the pad wears faster than the trailing edge. High-end calipers, such as Brembo , actually use larger pistons at the trailing edge of the pad, and smaller pistons at the leading edge in such a way that is specifically designed to over come this phenomenon of taper-wear. drilled and groved brake disc stay cooler then standard disc so braking is better. If you had a lambo with an 8v gti brake setup do you think it would stop...........yes! when you run out of road and wrapped it around a tree. You dont build a powerful car then skip the "how to stop" part

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Don't preach sh*t to me, i know how brakes work. . . . [:[]

Simply putting a VR6 engine in does not immediately reduce the braking power. Its only a few kg more weight, probably still less than an average passenger typically. . . . not an 'ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN'

70mph is 70mph regardless of the engine

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I think the point of the lack of larger brakes is only relevant when the extra power is used in a inappropriate way, like driving like a tit on public roads. As Andy says, the extra weight of a VR doesnt instantly make the car a death trap with standard brakes and nor does the extra power, only thing that makes it dangerous is the muppet behind the wheel. I only feel sorry for the other people whos cars have been smashed up by your mate, like you said hopefully he will learn a lesson from this.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah thats what i meant, a vr has almost double the power of an 8v. so 70 may well be 70, but if you would normally be arriving at the corner at 50 then the brakes are going to be working harder all the time. And if your a loon like this guy sounds - then it's only a matter of time that you get to a corner too fast and the brakes are already faiding and suddenly youve written off 3 peoples cars.

hopefully he learns the lesson this time whilst no one was injured. a vr mk2 with 8v brakes is foooooking stupid

5. baker57 Forum Member

Andy andy andy.......Don't preach sh*t to you. Thats not very nice isit. Oh well you have your own opinion i have my own opinion lets leave it at that.:thumbup:

6. baker57 Forum Member

my point exactly:thumbup:

7. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

how did he hit 6 cars?
    Keep the fast driving to desserted roads/tracks?

8. mk28vICED Forum Member

i sure someone said the brakes locked up, thats not from over heating thats from stamping on them too hard! :lol: too much brakes not too little :lol:

9. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I don't mean to be harsh but it's d**ks like that who give the rest of us a bad name.

What are all the other people involved in that incident (other drivers, police, ambulance ets) going to think next time they see a modded Mk2 Golf?

I'm not saying he deserved it, god knows most of us (myself included) have been guilty of inappropriate driving at on time or another, but I hope he learns something from it.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Another t/wat driving too fast for the conditions without little care and attention for others around him. If his opinion was that he was going too fast, then my opinion isnt harsh at all.

Its got **** all to do with it being a Mk2 VR6. He would have crashed any car in that situation.

On a brighter note, im glad he pulled through and the car came out fairly well. Maybe he will keep the fast lunatic driving to times when he might only kill himself, not the others around him.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i have to agree here,in theory tho as iv never actualy done a test but lets say a car is designed to do 120mph,the brakes will be also designed to stop it from such speed,how fast you reach that speed is not an issue
    if you were to make that car go 130 mph and you drove at that speed then yes i reakon you would need an upgrade,all based on road use not track

couple of things tho
    thank god hes ok
    hope he will learn from it (weve all done it havnt we,driving fast and made a boo boo)
    shame about a nice golf biting the dust,looked very clean

12. baker57 Forum Member

13. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Not wanting to repeat what others have said, but if he locked the brakes, then that doesn`t mean they weren`t up to the job. If he had stamped on them and they didn`t lock the brakes, that would suggest they were inadequate, but if they locked the wheels in that situation, they were good enough.

Obviously prolonged use, such as a cross country blast in a MK2 VR6 would cause the std MK2 ones to overheat and THEN if he ran out of brakes and crashed, you could blame the small brakes, but in the crash you described, well, thats not the reason is it ....

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ we'll never really know will we. Saying that a if a car is designed to go 120 so it doesnt matter if it gets there quicker makes no sense to me. There have been threads on here saying is it really worth going to 288's from 280's and the reply always tends to be - that the stopping power isnt massively different, but they can handle more stops over a longer period..... and if you double the power of your car, your going to be working the brakes harder at every corner meaning they will fail a lot quicker.

may not have been the cause this time, but it would have happened eventually. A manufacturer wouldnt produce a car with 200bhp and 236/256?? brakes and say - well 70mph is 70mph so they will be fine

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  15. neil kaye Forum Junkie

point taken but i was on about normal driving,if you drive like you stole the car then yes your brakes are going to need to be better,also if you are perpared to drive like a tw4t on public roads,be prepared to look a tw4t stood next to your beloved bent car

16. micky1 Forum Member

I hope those Borbet C's are ok..........

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There's no hiding the fact he's crashed on a straight piece of road.

So many factors.. eg reaction time, the space he had, the overall condition of the car - and if he had room to react, then it's just unfortunate that he didn't have the time/space/talent to save it.

Brake fade has nowt to do with it.

18. Admin Guest

in the dry.

19. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

But it wasn't your opinion at all, was it?

Because you just simply copied and pasted all of the text from here. [:[]

20. baker57 Forum Member

My opinion as in you should upgrade your brakes if your goning to run more power or if your goin to do an engine transplate to a bigger engine. if your going to do a vr6 mk2 project why not do the brakes?.... I didnt say that was my opinion^^^, Theres 100 of sites that will tel you that a brake upgrade is well worth it. I put that up there as a proven guide.