R32. Pros and cons

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Ditchyboy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Hi,

In the next few months (2012 anyway) I'm looking for a new motor because of a new job and a bit extra cash.I'm thinking of not being too sensible as I can save that for when I have kids in a few years.
    So a lad at footy has a r32 with flappy paddle gearbox and I love it,the sound is beautiful and performance isn't bad either. In the real world with some motorway driving are these still ridiculous to run,ie fuel,tax, maintenance or with some sensible smooth drives are they ok?
    I would be getting 40p a mile for all business use which would be 90% of my driving so that would help to cover fuel costs.
    Just want some realistic figures on servicing, running costs etc. Any common problems and if they are worth owning basically?!
    Always wanted a scooby sti with prodrive but think I have maybe slightly gone off them other than the RB320 which is out of my price range.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. craggsy Forum Member

Buy one and enjoy they are great cars. Tho be prepared for the GTI owners to say that they are a waste of time and you can get a GTI/Edition 30 with big power for same cash, but you can have more fun on the twisties and when its wet

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Thought the usual story was the opposite about the twisties because of the boat anchor at the front

4. craggsy Forum Member

the awd helps ya keep the power down round the corner......thats how i normally pull away from anything that tries it on, then hit the pedal and build the boost and whooooosh.

But seriously the awd really helps round corners big time