R32 Turbo conversion - Corrado......ideas

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by diluxe, Jul 4, 2013.

1. diluxe Forum Member

i'm looking at transferring my BFH engine from my mk3 into my corrado, and toying with the idea of adding a turbo.

I need to get an idea of the effort involved in going down this route, can anyone point me to any threads detailing this kind of build either in a mk2 or a corrado? would it be much different to say a vr6 turbo build e.g with placement of coolers, pipes etc.

cheers

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

You're a bad man. Already?

Gurds

3. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Search for powernut on here. He did many, many vr6 turbo engines including r32's but it was in a caddy so should be a similar fit.

5. coullstar Forum Member

Should be "realtively" straight forward, as you say a mix of R32 conversion and turbo. I dont think downpipe and maybe even exhaust manifold will need to be custom built but apart from that I dont think so. Local guy to me has a R32 turbo set up in his Mk2 and I dont believe there was any major stumbling blocks.

6. diluxe Forum Member

Yeah Gurds already lol

just tinkering with the idea at the minute, but i'm quite liking the thought of 400 bhp in the corrado.

how you getting on with your build?

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

First dibs on your N/A manifold!!!!! ;)

8. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Want to mess around with runner lengths and cross sections as it goes over the rocker cover?

It looks mega restrictive... I want to show Ben and eddy (time permitting) to calculate and see if it worth improving....

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I think he means exhaust manifold. ;)

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Not bad bro. Pop over sometime and check it out. BTW got the suspension sorted on the VR.

Gurds

11. diluxe Forum Member

which turbo would you guys recommend for low lag, quick spool and ability to make 400 bhp comfortably?

12. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I like cars with "more"...

Turbo for that? Min GTX35/30 or PTB 5558.

Should be able to hit 1bar at 3500rpm achieve ~ 400lbft or so at 4500rpm and scare small children, dogs and cats... Still need more? lol

14. diluxe Forum Member

LOL i think that would be plenty! as you know their isn't a great deal of space under the hood of Corrado do you see any issues with installation of the GTX30R turbo? I'm in the US next week and might keep an eye out for any deals on these.:)

15. Toyotec

The VR engine is slanted towards the headlights so no problem.

GTX30 smaller than GTX35 so will spool up faster max boost by 2800rpm and will also achieve 400bhp

16. coullstar Forum Member

GT35 is the way to go for sure. I had one in my VRT Corrado and it was epic and suited the engine well. With the24v lower down grunt it would be spot on and make the car very driveable. It was a GT3582r. Pretty sure the Mk2 I mentioned above has the same turbo and he is making just shy of 500bhp.

17. Toyotec

GT35** can supply around 600bhp of airflow on pump fuel in theory. On some 2-2.3 litre 4 cylinders, I have achieved 540-580bhp at ~ 1.6-2.2bar gauge pressure peak.
    GT30 version will spool much earlier where the boost can be controlled to generate a very wide and flat torque range from 2800rpm to 5000rpm or so. I suspect that is what the OP wants.

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

[​IMG]GT30 on an r32 with spacer plate

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. Toyotec

The beauty of no replacement for boosted big displacement!

20. RBPE Forum Member

Needs a set of cams though by the look of it!

GT30's a bit too small for a VR, much better going for a 35 - I'd suggest the 0.82ar turbine for road use. Some maps I did ages ago, got the 3076r but it's pointless on a VR, even the GTX76 is out of efficiency early. The other thing to note is where the max flow levels are, for example, no point having a 60lbs/min turbo reach this at around 2bar when an efficient VR can flow it at 1.5bar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Make sure you do the inlet manifold properly to suit your application, a short runner will be pointless if running low boost (say less than 1.2/1.3bar). I've spent the last few weeks CFD testing the first cylinder angle trajectory and pressure variances in relation to taper angles etc, it still amazes me how such tiny aspects hugely affect performance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies for the pic quality, I can vary the pixelation, arrow sizes, detail etc but after about 500+ tests you get a bit bored of trying to get the looks perfect!

This is from a TDI test study regarding runner length, it should show you the huge variances in terms of peak torque value so if your going for low power like 400hp, I'd try and stick with OEM long runner spec stuff or the R32 VRIM:
    [​IMG]