R32 which radiator?.??..?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PhilRyder, Aug 18, 2023.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I’ve spent most of the day trying to establish what radiator is going to fit for our R32 conversion.
    It seems the best choice is Corrado VR6 but there are none in this country and everything is aftermarket from abroad.
    The golf VR6 radiator is taller so will it fit?
    What do you have in your conversion? Help please, this is driving me nuts.

2. watercooled Forum Member

I have a 12V VR rad in storage ,will measure for you today ,cheers.

PhilRyder likes this.
  3. watercooled Forum Member

Ok width is 700 and height is 370 mm ,seem to remember now that they are 50mm too tall for mk2 .
    Cheers.

PhilRyder likes this.
  4. PhilRyder

Thanks for that. Yes they are too tall but with some cutting they can be made to fit. I watched a video on South East MK2 Golfs where they dropped a VR6 rad down in front of the rad support having welded on some support tabs. I think this is the way to go. It seems another issue with the aftermarket Corrado rads is that they are rubbish and cannot handle the pressure.
    I also saw a thread on here where @Toyotec said he was a using a mk3 vr6 rad with no issues. Any fitting tips Adlai?

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

From memory the mk3 VR rad sits in it's own housing which as above is too tall for a mk2.
    My old car used a Seat rad possibly from a Cordoba, which sat upside down so the hoses would fit, no idea on size or medel , it was 2005-6 it was built.. ages ago.

6. PhilRyder

That’s a good shout, the Cordoba rad is a fit but it is 20cm shorter than the VR6 which seems like a lot of surface area to lose? Thoughts anyone.

7. PhilRyder

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

MK3 Radiator as you saw in Shouty yes, supported at the top with custom brackets and the bottom also.
    That is what worked the best and cost very little, as MK3 rads are common.
    The fans are two ebay items which do the job when the engine is sitting in traffic idling.
    As I said to you and your son, that car runs a 560 mile commute trip. So it is not something that was done for show.

PhilRyder likes this.
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The chaps from south east dubs I know one of them who helps the bloke with the MK2 3.2 very well. He was on this forum back in the day as Ben S and I helped him a lot with his 1.6 MK2 Golf to ABF Golf on Megasquirt to now a track car. Its a small world.
    They are young enthusiasts doing their own thing, where as my stuff is influenced by folks who do VW modifications commercially and from my own work using the cars as daily commuters.
    So I can only advise on what is robust for my use daily.

PhilRyder likes this.