Raceland spring and damper kit

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Hugo, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Hugo Forum Member

I had one of these installed recently and now the back of the car is 4cm lower than the front!:o The people who fitted it swear blind that it is on correctly and Raceland themselves say nothing is wrong with the kit. However, the rear springs have '80' printed on them while the fronts are blank. Now to the main point: Does anyone know how high the standard ride height of a Mk2 Driver is? If I can find that out (VW no help here), I should be able to work out which springs need replacing!
    Thanks.

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

did you get the kit with aj height on the rear?

3. Hugo Forum Member

Nope. Standard non-adjustables. And no, the back of the car isn't rusting thru!

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

i had their aj rear kit..it needed raising a fair bit to be level

5. G-FORCE Forum Member

Raceland informed me they no longer sell the height adj shocks and spring kit as too many returns and problems with them.

They even told me they no longer sell the height adj only coilovers and the only option is the damper and height adj ones [:s]

6. MarkGolf Forum Member

Shouldn't have bought Raceland!!
    Utter poo in my oppinion!

I hated them as I found them toooo soft. The back sat lower than the front, maybe that was because of my choice of intial height...

but I tried returning them, but they didn't wanna know!

They caused me to f**k my tyres, not be able to corner past 25mph, where I can now do the same corner at near 50 with my FK's!!

seriously would stay away!
    they sell ya something, then run!

I know people that have placed orders with them, they;ve taken the money and not sent the shocks for near a month!!

7. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

make sure they have sent you the right rear spings, the do a 60/40 drop hence the rear being 20mm higher, they DO tend to send you a 60/40 set even if you order a 60/60 drop.

Nag them, make them send you a new set of rear springs,they sware blind that i had the right ones but they did resend my new spings and there was a hell of a difference. (all of this was on my mkII valver)

As for handling, you get wot you play for but IMO they were good for the money

Velly
    '93 Sportline 16v (twin 40's)

8. MrBen Forum Junkie

Mine has the height adjustment on the rear shocks and when I fitted it the back end was quite a bit lower. I put the back up two slots and it's now level and I've had no problems.

It's obviously not the best lowered suspension I've ever had, but for 170 it's fine.

9. Hugo Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. I've gone and bought some Boge springs now to see if that will sort the problem. If it does, at least I'll know not to buy anything from Raceland again. Even if I am on a budget!

10. Rustynuts Forum Member

One of my rear dampers has started to leak a little after just 6months. Going to get onto them to sort, however if the rear adjustables are not sold anymore they will have to send me a couple of the new range, and they better be free [:x]

Mine seems to line up ok though, and the handling is quite good in my opinion, up there with my Mk1 which is on a Boge setup.