Radar/Laser Detectors

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by VDubChap, Oct 31, 2003.

1. VDubChap Forum Member

Does anyone here have/use a detector for detecting speed traps etc and can anyone recommend a particular sort?

2. edc1 Forum Member

Personally, I cannot see the benefit of a lser detector as once it has been detected the ticket will already be inthe post or the BIBI will be chasing you. You're better off in this instance with a diffuser, if these are legal (I strongly believe thay are not though).

3. andykaz New Member

A laser detector will help you if you are in a line of traffic, as the beam scatters from the inital car(s).

I have a radar detector, but it is a crap cheapy one which gives very little warning.

If your gonna get one, pay top bucks. Like edc1 says, a diffuser is far more effective for laser, and how often do you go on a route where you dont already know where the cameras are?

4. hayesey Forum Junkie

i bought one last year. a snooper sd815 or something. not a cheapo one anyway.

used it for a while but got that many false alarms that it renders it useless. used to go off at nearly every set of traffic lights, even going past shops at the side of the road that have automatically opening doors! :o

putting it in city mode helps but its still got to the point of where i just ignored it all the time.

really expensive detectors might be better i dunno. or GPS things like road angels.

5. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Yup, a laser diffuser is the only real defence, as it confuses the laser gun long enough for you to slow down.

They're not illegal per-se, but if you're found to be operating one you can be charged with 'obstructing an officer of the law in the execution of his duties' and 'perverting the course of justice'

Saying that, they've only done this once so far, and that was the kiddie in south wales who was blatently taking the take a leak with his, and deserved what he was getting as it's upset the applecart for the rest of us now. Up to that point the fuzz didn't think diffusers worked. [:x]

A good budget radar detector that's fairly new is the Cheetah - clips on like a panoramic rear view mirror, and has better detection ranges than the likes of the snoopers bell and Valentine detectors.

review and good info at www.gatso.org

Guess what I'm asking santa for....

6. GTi_8v Forum Member

I have to say that i forked out for a GPS and radar/laser unit, the Snooper S6-r awhile ago! A hell of a lot of money at 350, but what price do you put your license at!!

Absolutely love, got the GPS reliablity as well as the conventional detector aswell! I use the whole length of the A303 quite regularly so really comes into use on the early morning journeys when not all my senses are with me!

Have to say, i would recommend one!!