RAF Leuchars Airshow (More Photos added)

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by JettaTDi, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

From a previous thread I've just purchased a Nikon D3100 SLR, and a 55 - 200mm lens. I'm a complete novice this is the 1st time I've used it in anger, at RAF Leuchards Air Show at the weekend, despite the weather it was an awesome show.

Heres just a small selection of my efforts, I'll post the Red Arrows ones later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I think you're having us on about being new to all this! ;)

They are great photographs - are they straight out of the camera or have you photoshopped any?

I went to Newark Air Museum in the winter and promised myself I would go to an airshow at some point. (Some point being when I can afford a longer lens.)

I don't normally like taking pictures at shows (air, dog, car, any type of show) because normally there are fences/barriers/crowds of people, making it obvious you're at a show. But thinking on, at an airshow, most of your subjects are airbourne, so at least you don't get the crowds.

Look forward to seeing your Red Arrow pics.

3. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Cheers Stella, I touched up the first and last photos, I was really pleased with the photos I took, It was a pretty dark and gloomy day, I turned up the ISO setting which seems to have worked ok, I did take hundreds of photos just to get a few good ones. My computer has thrown a hissy fit, once its sorted I will post more pics up.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. danster Forum Addict

Glad to see you managed to get some good shots taken. It has been a miserable damp weekend up here, so finding a time when it was dry enough to get the camera out was lucky.

Is that a Vulcan in pic 8?

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Those are awesome.

6. Admin Guest

you need to ask?

7. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Yeh that's the Vulcan, when it arrived it was the most overcast part of the day. What a sound, and sight.

8. danster Forum Addict

@ pedant Jon P:lol:, I only asked as I am no plane spotter. But I do recall playing football on village green on a sunny day in summer when one of those Vulcans flew over very low, and it went dark as it blocked out the sun. :o
    We do get a lot of planes flying here from Leuchars as it is close by. They come up here in all those fancy jets and the odd Hercules and Chinook too.
    Scare the crud out of me with the noise the jets make if I am working under a car when fly past. :lol:

9. 1550samn Forum Member

how did you get the pic of that transporter with french writing on? whats the corkscrew behind the prop?

10. 1550samn Forum Member

sorry forgot to mention, excellent images btw! :lol:

11. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Cheers for the comments, the Herc, was just starting his take off run and was going past me, I had the shutter on a really fast setting, trust me it was a real fluke, to get the photo. The corkscrew is the vapour trail from the blades, you could hardly see it with the naked eye.

12. Admin Guest

Disappointment on so many levels there.

13. Du88er New Member

Ahhhh my base, Cant get back to leuchars, Shame i missed the Airshow. No doubt ill be working at the next one :( !!

14. coullstar Forum Member

Some great photos there but it was a very poor show I thought. Nothing like it used to be in the early to mid 90's but I suppose thats understandable with whats going on in Afghan and Libya. I only went to see the Vulan as I fear thats the last time I'll hear that howl.

15. bazf Forum Member

Cracker of a picture.

16. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Just got my computer back after I managed to snap the screen.

Here's a couple more photos, still more to sort through and post up.

As you can see the did the full display without the red 4 arrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011