RCA connectors too long for H/U

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Craigster, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Craigster Forum Member

Ok, just completed 6 hrs worth of amp and sub install (thanks to SCOS for assistance) - spent about 80 on half decent wiring so that I can upgrade the kit at a later date without having to replace the wires.

Last thing I did, was slide the head unit back in and the fecker wont slide all the way back in a click into place!! - The RCA connectors go straight into the back of the h/u (I gather some h/u's have 'flying' leads) as its a Sony, and their simply isn't enough room behind the unit when in place to accomodate the length of the connectors.

They are not unusually long. The head unit is a Sony CDX-MP40 I think and the cars a mk3 VR6.

Any thoughts? - Anyone know where I can get RCA connectors that are an elbow?

Have to say, I'm feckin pee'd off at this, both at Sony for not putting pflying leads on like everyone else and at VW for not leaving enough damn space behind there!

I've spent a good 400 and my HU's sticking out about 3/4" and looks VERY GAY.

2. DaySpring Forum Member

Try a good car audio shop they will be able to supply male to female elbows to allow you to connect the RCA's.

3. nuggo New Member

maplin would be the cheapest option i would imagine! ;)

4. Chris Forum Member

I had a problem fitting my HU back in once, but it was due to the number of wires out the back of it. I would have thought there should be enough room, remove the Glovebox/Airbag, and you should be able to see whats going on.

5. jonmiller Forum Member

I have the same problem with mine, the headunit comes out easy enough, but getting it back requires some very careful cable arranging...

6. superden Forum Addict

Try replacing a head unit in a Mk2 ... now THATS careful cable arranging :lol:

7. PDA

PDA Forum Member

8. Craigster Forum Member

Yeah - kinda. Would be ideal if I could find a proffessionally made up gold plated version.

Or even just a gold plated version - I'm quite handy with a soldering iron. Seems mad to spend 80 on reasonable quality cabling and have to comprimise it right at the head unit.

Thinking about it - if I use that then I wont be able to get the leads into the plugs either side of that pair of plugs....

I had good light and could see perfectly the back of the h/u bay - measured everything up and it just wont fit. This is SO annoying!!

Dya think I can blag Sony/Argos (g/f bought it!) into a full refund for the h/u? - So I can go buy one that fits my car! (ie. has flying leads).

9. Madbloke Forum Member

I often have this prob when putting headunits in! [:x]

Make sure the cables are laying flat and not all bunched in at one corner and crossing over each other etc ---

Make sure there is as little excess of phone and aerial as possible then push unit in -- as long as you can get your hand between the HU and the dsh slot keep pushing the wires down and behind the dash slot-- then once you can no longer get your hands behind slowly push the unit back into place -- it may take 3 or 4 attempts.

If you use the quick connector block things that plug straight from original car loom to the stereo loom this will cause a ptob as they are quiet bulky so make sure thay are as far behind and below the hu slot as possible.

10. Craigster Forum Member

trust me, even if there were NO other wires, it still wouldn't fit.

Physical length of the connector protruding out the back of the h/u is greater than the depth of the remaining recess.

What is that bit of plastic at the back anyway? - Can I cut through it??

11. Madbloke Forum Member

NO, NO, NO ---- I 'm 90% sure this will be the pipes for the air system so although it would keep the HU hot or cold it would do sod all for your feet etc [:^(]

SONY strikes again --- I'd take it back and get a Pioneer ;)

12. Craigster Forum Member

Yeah, thought not!!

Hmmm, I'd like to swap it out if I can - but cant see it happening...

[:x] [:x] [:x] ..... [:x] !

13. Madbloke Forum Member

If it wont fit the car (or suitable for its purpose etc) then they have to give you your money back dont they -- how long have you had it?

14. Craigster Forum Member

g/f got it for me for Xmas... think she bought it a few months before though...

15. Madbloke Forum Member

Doh - Can you eliminate any of the other wires like tel mute or speaker wires not being used?

Also make sure that no wires are bing trappped between the Hu and the top sides or bottom of cage - where bouts are u based

16. MK3_GPP Forum Member

I had to remove alot of the dash to pull all the RCA's/Cables down just to be able to push mine in, there is very little room [:s]

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

I have loads of room for head units in my MK dash

But thats cos its in a MK2 :lol:

18. Craigster Forum Member

Maidenhead, Berkshire.

Had a good scout round the ICE shops at the weekend - no joy.

19. Madbloke Forum Member

Im in worcestershire --- if you were near by I could of had a look

20. DaySpring Forum Member

Give Huets in Hove a ring.