Re drilling hubs and discs to new pcd

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Sully114, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sully114 Forum Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone has redrilled there hubs and discs to new pcd fitment on here? Im looking to adapt my mk3 vr hubs disks to fit some BMW rims to save shelling out large amounts of cash for pcd adapters. Is this safe or possible with VR hubs and disks?
    New pcd would be 5x120 and I would need adapters for et which is et41.

2. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

I'm trying to do this now, but its looking very unlikely. Bmw hubs are larger in diameter and I think there may be too little material to work with. The centre bore of the wheels means its a grey area with regard to drilling 5 x100, and I think we would be on the limit of the front hub if that was to be redrilled to 5 x120.

If you have the luxury of adapters I would do that, I don't as my wheels are et 20 and the thinnest I can do for a spacer is around 15mm. Et 5 with a 10" wheel is nuts

If I achieve if I'll have plenty to shout about and will post a guide.

3. Sully114 Forum Member

Yea thinking about it there isnt much meat on the ouside of the existing holes on the hubs. Im wondering if theres another vag vehicle that has bigger hubs that would fit mk3 golf to allow for extra pcd diameter? The trouble with pcd adapters on the setup im trying to achieve is it would push the wheel out at least 10mm possibly 15mm depending on the thickness of the adpater, which would almost definatly give my arch rub. I really like the rims I got but im thinking I might just sell them on.

4. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

Its drastic but up front I'm considering making a new hub complete and using a beemer disc, narrowing the rear axle and using an adapter. Lots of work but doable

5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

The rear hubs from an S2 are 5 x 112. The bearing is 3mm larger on OD, so you would need to bore out the housings. You can then also fit Audi CV joints, with all of the advantages that they give you.

If I remember correctly. The S2 hubs are forged in such a way that the only thick area is where the existing threads are. In between the material is much thinner. If this is a way you want to go, I am quite willing to remove a rear wheel, from my 90 Q, and check the forging. The 4 x108 hubs I removed are of constant thickness throughout.

6. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

Sounds like s2 may be the way forward, do you know much about mountimg the brake callipers? Cheers

7. Dave

Sorry David, did not explain too well.

You fit the rear hubs from an S2 on to the front of the Golf.

The rears on the Golf need a similar system to that already on there, with a stub axle. My Audi 100 uses a stub axle, with a hub using two taper roller bearings like the Golf. I don't know the relative sizes off hand, and whether an Audi stub will bolt onto a VW rear axle. The Audi rear disc is separate.

I'll have a look into it in the next couple of days!

8. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

I think I get what you mean, I'll look out for some more front hub carriers. I'll try and find out the bore size too for the s2. I'm ok with whatever goes on the rear.

9. Dave

David.

You need to take the front housings of the Golf Mk3 uprights from 72mm to 75mm.

The rear stubs from the Audi use different bearings to the Golf.

Find an Audi 100 in a scrappy. Take the stub axles. Re-drill to suit the Golf rear beam bolt arrangement. Make one of your spacers with an extension to carry the caliper. The Audi calipers are carried on the flange at the end of the beam. The Audi stub axle is circular where it bolts to the beam.

Get out there and find some Audi stubs and do it! Then you can sell the spacer conversions!:thumbup:

Small Royalty to me please. Say 5% on gross!

10. Sully114 Forum Member

Their's a guy on ebay who makes pcd adapters to order for 180 nicker which does'nt sound to bad so I might go this route. I just have a question, is he15 alloy strong enough for job? the spacers are only 16mm thick just wanted to check this before i buy.

11. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

thanks dave, that's spot on. I'll get on it straight away, its not going to be done in 5 minutes though.
    Really appreciate that

12. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

Sully I would say they would be strong enough, that is my alternative too. Its much quicker but expensive for me. If I can't do the audi setup for time reasons I'll be making a set in 15mm myself.