Re-"line"- ing brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by jc.., Nov 3, 2003.

1. jc.. Forum Member

I am in the process of fitting braided hoses to my Mk2 8v but the existing connections and copper lines are so corroded they need replacing.

Questions.
    1) Where can I get the copper tubing and connections

2) how hard is it to fit the copper tubing and what is needed? I am assuming a small pipe cutter of some description and something to flare the tube ends..

Anyone done this?

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I took my old lines into a garage (or you can just measure the lengths) fittings are about 20p each from vag if the garage doesn`t stock `em.

If you use copper you can bend the lines by hand normally, or get a kit with the proper bending tool..

3. Jettin' Forum Member

I got the lines made up by a handy motor factor. I had to bend the new ones to shape though, its not a hard job just make sure that you dont kink it.

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

The lines are cheap as.

Most motor shops will make up lines to the correct length complete with end connections.

It cost me less than 20 to re-line the whole of my 8v.

They normally come rolled in a circle, but easy to bend into the right place... just be gentle.

5. jc.. Forum Member

less than 20 for all pipe and connectors?
    Sounds good

6. jc.. Forum Member

Right I need to figure out the connectors.
    As mine are so corroded it appears to be one big lump between copper pipe,mounting and flexible pipe.

Does anyone know what I need to replace the part between the copper and flexible hose (braided or otherwise)?
    It's the bit that is fixed to the rear beam or car chassis...sure they are generic and want to avoid VAG