Realistic Mk5 GTI MPG

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by PeeJay, Jun 7, 2011.

1. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Ok, if anyone of you read some of my odd threads about Lotus Elises, Gliders etc you might have picked up I'm a bit fickle.

Anyway, with out the usual 300 word essay about how and why, I'm thinking about changing the Accord Diesel for a MK5 GTi.

I drive 30ish motorway miles a day, at about 65-70mph constant* which makes up the vast bulk of my driving. What sort of mpg could I expect, love to hear from real owners rather than the info autotrader etc knock out.

* yes I'm old, yes I'm boring, but I drive the same straight, massively policed stretch of Mway everyday and speeding just makes me more stressed and gets me to work/home about 6 mins faster.

2. prof Forum Addict

my giant luxury shed does 30-35 at a constant 70, so a mk5 gti should be capable of 40,

3. NBirkitt Forum Member

Mk 5 GTI mpg

Assuming 6-speed manual gearbox, in our road test for Volkswagen Driver mag (June 2005 issue) we averaged 28.6 mpg overall, which includes 'brisk' driving and performance testing. Normal driving will better that, probably around 30 mpg long-term...

Our economical driving test (60 miles cruising at 55-60 mph) produced 39.6 mpg

So, you're looking at a realistic genuine 30-35 in real-life driving circumstances

In our experience, DSG gave 2 mpg less

Not that these are corrected figs not straight MFD readouts, which can be slightly ambitious by 1-3 mpg..

cheers

Neil Birkitt

www.volkswagendrivermag.co.uk

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

from driving various cars, I have seen overall MPG between 29 - 35mpg when looking at the MFD section 2 (overall since last reset)

which tally's with Neils true tests

5. coullstar Forum Member

30-35mpg is what you'll probably get. They are not that great on fuel TBH. Even on full motorway I never saw mine above 37mpg.

6. markmark New Member

If I take it steady sticking ridgidly to speed limits I can get between 34-39 mpg on a 50 mile run, mixture of m/way and A roads. Its not that bad on fuel, I have a modified Pirelli GTI with over 300bhp and love it!

7. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

I think for the performance they are good on fuel. Ours does betweed 38 to 35mpg. If you are really careful on the motorway probably high 30's. Much better than my 20v audi S3.

8. prof Forum Addict

so if you did 200miles at 70 what would it get? assuming a mpg reset as the trip starts

9. richwig83 Forum Member

30MPG is what I usually see from my Edition 30

10. coullstar Forum Member

Basically I would get 350miles out of a tank with town/motorway driving and long motorway trips no more than 400miles.

11. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Me to :thumbup:

12. coullstar Forum Member

Its now 240mi and 290mi from the S4[8(]

13. gavgti5 New Member

I agree with others. I commute on M1, daily. 30-35mpg at the speeds you're doing is more than realistic. But, 200bhp is addictive!!!

14. alexperkins New Member

On longer drives, I have hit 40MPG in my ED30 (and its stage 2!)

15. Damo New Member

Same hear (only stage 1 though).

My daily work commute is a 14 mile round trip (7 miles down hill and 7 up) at 30mph. For the last 3 months my trip 2 has been showing 29-30mpg..

I used to do a 80 mile round trip and would average 38mpg..

16. Pablos007

Pablos007 New Member

Around 30mpg on a combination of fast country 'A' roads to & from work, and occasional M-way runs which are usually 150 - 200 miles each way.

Now at Stage II power and this figure hasn't changed - much better than my R32!! ;)

17. sprint_48

sprint_48 Paid Member Paid Member

I do a steady 60ish mph on a 35 mile commute to work very early in the morning, half B road, half A road and it's reading between 37-39 MPG daily. This gets me around 400 miles to a tank of V-Power.

Part of the reason I bought a Mk5 GTI was the fact it was a great 'all rounder'. Great looks, performance, handling, build quality, and for a 200bhp car - great fuel economy.

18. dT MK3 4

dT MK3 4 Forum Member

keep the speed down to between 55-65mph and you can achieve 38+mpg...according the MFD.

I've done a good couple of drives and thats the average with the nippers in the back and the dog in the boot. The difference is not letting the car idle too much at start up or revving it high to join...nice and smooth change ups at 2000-2200rpm sees the best fuel economy even around town.

I did get 43.6mpg once but it was a 50mph 15 mile stretch of motorway involved!!

19. GTIbirdcage New Member

Recently purchased mk5 gti and constantly in the petrol station only driving down the road and back on the daily. However! I have been driving 150 miles a day round the m25 and get decent mpg!! 45 to 50 ????