Rear Axle Brake Upgrade MK3 Variant

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Wayne Brennan, May 16, 2022.

1. Wayne Brennan New Member

Hi lads i have a 1.4 Mk3 variant that i will be putting a 1.8t AUM into, i have all parts needed besides rear brakes.

I will be converting the front to 5x100 with 312mm set up. What is the best option for the rears seems the axle is different on a variant.

I was told i could use gti discs and carriers, Mk4 38mm calipers and adapter hoses.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Should all bolt up, probably handbrake cables too as different for calipers over drums.
    Stub axles, discs, carriers, calipers and cables from a gti.

Other option is polo 9n, ibiza, fabia set up for 5x100 just need bracket to mount caliper behind stub axle.

3. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

A minor problem lies with the construction of the Variant axle beam. The clip-on brackets used when rear discs are fitted to the other types, to support the junction of each metal brake pipe to the flexible hose from the caliper, have nowhere to attach on the Variant axle. I've not seen a U.K. spec Variant with rear discs, the largest engine it was available with here was the 2.0 8v, and that has drums. But it was offered with the VR engine elsewhere, and I can't see those not having discs.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Make a metal bracket to go on top of trailing arm to hold hose/pipe joint, a simple L shape with a big hole for hose, and weld, pop rivet or screw it on, the cast isn't overly hard to drill in to. 20210321_163150.jpg 20210321_153716.jpg 20210321_164857.jpg