rear brakes seized on

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by muppetsport, Oct 31, 2003.

1. muppetsport Forum Member

got a b reg 8v gti mk2 and the back brakes are seized on and there is no hand brake what-so-ever. will i need new calipers or can they be freed up? also the rear bias valve for the back brakes is seized. what sort of price are they?

last but not least, lol, the engine dont seem to rev all that fast like the timing is out. one of my mates said something to do with breathers but im not sure? its just like slow to rev when you put your foot down, next to no power at all and pops and bangs when back off throttle, sounds like timing to me, engine runs perfect on all 4 cylinders on tick over and when revved.

any ideas???? im new to vw's so all the help is well appreciated.

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Set some new calipers. If you free them up, they will seize agian in a few weeks. Trust me I know! [:^:]
    Once the mechansims are rusted, they are pants.

Get some MK3 or MK4 calipers and fit them. They are redesigned units and fit no problem. I bought a set of MK3 calipers for one of my car a year or so back. Cost me 110 for the pair at the time.

Your engine prob sounds like duff HT leads to me.

3. muppetsport Forum Member

a mate who is a vaolkswagen mechanic came nd had a look last night, the back brake discs and pads are all brand new, he reckons its just the hand brake cable stuck on as the brakes work fine otherwise. so ive got a set of cables for 15 quid this morning and im trying to brime my mate to fit em this evening. thats basically the main bit of work for the mot, just alignig headlights next then it should pass.

ill check the ht leads aswell but it revs up slow when ticking over, ie not driving which makes me think its timing related or fuel/air not set right. shall give it a once over with new plugs and leads and all that.

thanks

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Just because the discs and pads are new, doesn't mean the calipers aren't fudged.

If the handbrake cables aren't adjusted correctly then fine, but I can bet money that the handbrake mechs in the calipers are rusted to buggery.

If you just want to get it through the MOT, then get ya WD40 spray it over them and wiggle until they free up enough for the test. They'll rust up again, but it'll get ya through.

5. muppetsport Forum Member

cheers, yeah it says in the mot fail sheet handbrake actuators seized. when you pull the hand brake on its already on if you know what i mean.

ive got a industrial size wd40 for the job, gonna go start it i think in about an hour.

i reckon it will need new calipers, and there might still be my mates old d reg gti in the local scrap yard, might rob the whole back beam for 20 quid off it.

is it common for the calipers to seize? i think its been sitting around for a while you see as its been out of mot since march this year. replacement ones from local motor factors wont be too much, vaux ones are about 30 quid a side on exchange.

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Yep, very common on MK2s. Mine are on their way out too.

7. muppetsport Forum Member

thanks for the help mate, will go source some replacement ones hopefully this week, want to get it mot'd in a couple of weeks get rid of the beige monster bus in the pic to the left, going to scrap yard in december when tax is out.

cheers

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

don't source old ones - they will be siezed too- especially the D plate ones in the scrappy. try to find later ones as they were re-designed (88?) to solve this problem (didn't help much). i got mk3 ones and they don't sieze at all...
    for later mk2 and mk3 calipers you'll need new, later, handbrake cables too.

as for the rear bias valve, it's bout 45+vat from GSF and the like...

9. muppetsport Forum Member

what mk3 golfs had the rear discs on then? passats etc? aint got anything that new in local scrappy really.

that d reg one of my mates the back brakes were fine on it 2 weeks ago like might be worth a shot.

10. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

mk3 gti's had discs.

if they do work, it may only be a matter of time before they sieze. do the job once and do it right, it's a hassle changing them and having to bleed the brake lines n stuff if they do need changed....!

11. muppetsport Forum Member

was looking at them last night and theyre not actually stuck or seized on at all. its only the hand brake that doesnt work. its miss-leading from the mot fail sheet. ive found some in a local breakers for about 25 a side anyway off a mk3 gti 8v. i take it they bolt on the same?