Rear Calipers - 1991 8v Mk2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by zcacogp, Nov 10, 2003.

1. zcacogp Forum Member

Chaps,

A couple of questions about the rear calipers of my 1991 8v Mk2. They are getting tired, and have almost completely seized. MOT's loom, and it's time to tinker to see if I can make 'em work again.

So, does anyone know anything about rebuilding them? I am told you can dismantle them, clean them out, re-grease the handbrake mechanism and reassemble, but does anyone know anything about this? Will I need a rebuild kit and, if so, where do I get one from?

Also, I will need a wind-back tool to push the piston in, in order to fit new pads (new pads and disks will happen at the same time.) Where can I get such a tool from? Halfords (bah!)? How much am I likely to have to pay?

All help gratefully recieved!

Oli.

2. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

an allen key will wind them

as for the handbrake mechanism, you can knock the rachet pin out about 1/2inch on the caliper then give it a bit of a rub down with some wet & dry till its nice and smooth again then spray a bucket load of wd40 round it, leave it for about 30mins to seep in, then grease the pin and then knock it back it, and give it a bit of a workout!

also using for granada springs on the calipers can help as these are stronger than the VAG ones

Granada release springs part numbers
    6 141 147 and 6 141 148

or just get a recon set of late mk3 calipers

3. Southy_GTI Forum Member

38mm ones

4. Mikey Forum Member

Only the earlier Gti's could be wound back using an allen key - the '91 callipers will need to be wound back using the wind back tool you mention, or circlip pliers.

Best bet would be to buy a pair of Mk3 calipers. I had problems a couple of years back on my Gti & fitted the Granada springs after greasing the mechanism but the problem came back in a couple of months. I fitted a 2nd hand set of Mk3 VR6 callipers (60 incl postage from the private ads on the PVW website) , new handbrake cables & new rear pads & everythings been A1 since

Mike

5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

...and yes, caliper wind back tool you can get from halfords. it's a sykes pickavant and it's 20. top stuff.