Rear courtesy lights not working

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Fagaf, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Fagaf New Member

Hi all - trying to upgrade my 5dr 89 CE1 CL diesel to having rear courtesy/vanity lights - I've located the brown-white spades behind the seat belt trim and checked for 12v but no luck

I've checked the wire for any verdigris but looks very clean (as it was unused and tucked for 30+ years), and the wire seems to be all well and good, no nicks etc. The front door switches work just right, so do the rear lights etc - as I know it forms part of that same harness.

Am I missing some form of extra fuse they had for rear door lights? Cheers!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the brown/white is an earth which is tapped into the front door pins, if you dont mind the lights coming on with the front you can feed the rear lights with 12v from somewhere and tap the earth to the same spade

you could add a connection inline with the front interior light power, theres a spade on the rear loom red wire where the central locking and light power plugs in. or go from one of the live P spades at the fusebox with inline fuse

3. Fagaf New Member

Right okay - however since the rear earths are tapped to the front, I thought it would be running off the same red 12v from the light already. To clarify I want the rear door switches to operate as the fronts, door opens => map light comes on

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you - complete newb to electrics here and just treading lightly

4. rubjonny

So you just want the rear doors to turn on the light at the front? I read it that you had added lights to the rear :)

So yeah the rear switches should just be tapped into the same wire as the front pins as standard, have a look at the a pillar maybe it's been cut up for an alarm or.something. I can't remember off hand if the wires are.hard spliced originally or if they have a jumper plug inline with the front door switch pin on the driver side? Should be obvious when you look at the driver front pin wiring anyway around the a pillar

5. Fagaf New Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear haha :)

Yep, I've had a look and tried to hook up the grounds together, but no luck - it doesn't seem like they are tapped from factory on 5dr

I've noticed there is an extra bit of wire (brown/white also) on both sides near the switch spade on the rears - I presume these are tapped to it and I've tried hooking that up to the other grounds but again - no difference when it comes to the behavior of the map light. I've also tested for ground continuity and all checks out :/

6. rubjonny

you'll just have to run your own wire then. make yourself an inline connector, so a bit of wire with male spade 1 end, female the other with another wire tapped in which you run off to one of the rear door switches, then from there another wire over to the other side. put this inline with one of the front door switches, job done :)

the alternative is chase the wire you already have back to source, and join it back into the front switch circuit