Rear disc brake query

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Georgetl, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Georgetl New Member

7A350400-07C9-4C5A-884C-367C8D34A8A1.jpeg 8108B559-9CDE-420C-A3B0-D9CA21BEE02E.jpeg CC7AE910-5408-4C84-B53E-CECE650C520B.jpeg Hi guys

to cut a long story short, took the mk2 8v on its first long drive yesterday and it developed a speed sensitive squeak from the rear getting progressively worse. Car started making a strange noise from underneath around the fuel pump area (sounded like pressure building?) so I pulled over and turned the car off tried the brake pedal but it was rock solid. Left it for 10 mins turned the car on again noises went away and the pedal returned to normal. Strange.

first thing I’m checking is the rear wheel bearings and callipers but I’m not that clued up on vw’s if I’m honest. I’m led to believe the 8v came with drums on the rear? Mine has rear discs so my question would be what discs are they from? I can’t see any part markings, can anyone recognise these brakes?

thanks in advance.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

drums on the MK1, discs on the MK2. those are the standard rear brakes :)

3. Georgetl New Member

Ahh ok thanks Jonny!

are the 8v 16v g60 rear brakes the same?

Being as I’ll be removing the callipers is it worth upgrading? I’ve read mk3 mk4 golf callipers fit but is there much improvement in terms of performance?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah they all use the same rear brakes, there was a change in 88 you have the post 88 stuff on there.

mk3 has a redesigned handbrake lever design so a little less prone to seizing, if the mk2 ones are past saving I would go for mk3 as they're a straight swap. some like the mk4 calipers which are similar but alloy, those need conversion hoses

performance wise no difference mk2 to mk3 as both 38mm piston and tbh the rears do bugger all braking anyway. mk4 alloy ones come in 38 and 40mm, plus theres the polo alloy ones at 36mm (same as pre-88 mk2) but yeah you probably wouldn't really notice the difference between

5. Georgetl New Member

Thanks for the info Jonny. I’ll take them off the car and see what the condition is like, hopefully they’re ok and I can just replace the seals but we shall see… nothing is ever that simple :lol: