Rear seat short cable?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PhilRyder, Nov 22, 2020.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Took the test seats or today for a bit of cleaning and found this cable. Looks like it should retain something? Any clues?
    IMG_20201122_131916.jpg

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Fits in one of the holes under seat in body, think its teardrop shaped and a plastic bung clip over it.
    Saw it swapping seats couple weeks ago, thought odd only being on one half, initially my idea was earthing cable, or ejector seat retaining strap.

PhilRyder likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

:lol:

We thought it should join the two seats but as you know there is no similar hole on the adjacent seat.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Ours was still attached to the body, that's how I knew where it went, like in your picture there is a black plastic clip in on top of it.
    Very odd, surely if it was an earth both halves should have it.
    And on Allie's 87 green mk2 where we put my back seat (91) there was the hole in body, but no wire on single piece seat.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its specific to split fold seats, I had in mind it was attached to a latch inside which stops the bench folding as my rear seat gave me a fight trying to remove them but I didnt look into it in much detail as they went straight in my old car for sale. really regret letting them go now as GTI split fold rear seats are pretty rare