Reasons for power losses in TDI's?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by G-Man, Jul 24, 2006.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

My Arosa TDI has a custom code phase 2 remap and a few odds and sods like a panel filter, jetex exhaust system, de-cat but considering Custom Code quote i should be seeing around 115hp-120hp with 180-200lb/ft torque, it no where near seems like that at all.

Based on judgement, i'd say its running more around 100hp.

Engine is barely on 30K too!

What are the possible causes to power losses in TDI's as I want to sort this out? Could there be some clogged valves, pipes lose, dogey sensors.......

Any help will be great as I have a rolling road soon and if i'm disappointed i'm gonna contact JBS

2. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

on most TDI's it's the MAF sensor which fails and causes the power loss

3. Seraph Banned

aye, mafs

aparently the egr valve gets clogged too

i wouldnt try and guess hp, unless youve had the car few years and a RR test.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

Just been to Storm Developments who stock custom code, and they're going to service my car and get the old vag-com onto it to see whats up. Hope its not the MAF as with the service the will be quite a bit :(

But when i'm getting done by old 406 diesel estates you know something is wrong! Lots of people have remaps easily above 110hp on the 1.4 TDI engines, so i'd expect the same especially with Custom Code. But the rolling road in September will be evidence for me to go to JBS to speak about it.

Oh and Seraph, what is the EGR valve and where would it be connected to?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  5. prof Forum Addict

it's been really hot, turbo engines don't like that...........egr exhaust recirculation valve

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have you had the work done on the car by JBS?

I'd contact them asap if so, instead of whinging on here.

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

The car was done by JBS, BUT i'm not whinging about them because i don't want to contact them about the problem as the problem itself might have no reflection on their work whatsoever.

The car needs a service where i'll also get everything on the car looked over and I want to make sure everything is running fine before associating the problem with the work from JBS. But in the mean time, i'm looking for causes other than just the remap.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  8. Seraph Banned

as prof says

find it between inlet hose and throttle body, with a vaccume hose connected to it (pd)

heres what a clogged one looks like!!
    http://www.fototime.com/B815EC92277E411/standard.jpg

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

Just checked hoses, they all seem fine and connected.

Thought i'd give my car the old 'stopwatch' treament for the 0-60mph.

The time i got made me know something isn't right. I got 11.5secs for 0-60mph, which is standard manufacture's rating! Most people on clublupo with the same specs as my car achieve anywhere between 7.9-8.9secs for 0-60mph.

So think i might get it serviced and VAG-COM'd sooner than I thought

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

11. kev25v6 Forum Member

Is it easy to remove and clean the EGR valve and do the gaskets have to be replaced when its taken off of the engine? How much is a new EGR valve? What difference do they make to the performance of a tdi? Sorry for all the questions but i could do with a bit more performance out of my car, im guessing it could be like the pic above, mines done 134k.

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

Just read through the net and noticed some advice on TDI's with MAF problems. There was a questions i found:

1) Can you improve the acceleration slightly by pumping the accelerator? -YES YES YES!

Someone also said:

'disconnect the MAF' - is this a true indicator of things? If so what difference should i look for?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  13. Seraph Banned

indicator?

disconnecting the maf should send it into limp, which means it may well be still very drivable.

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

Thats what I thought, and after speaking to Storm they think my car might be running into limp mode anyway with the MAF connected. I'm intrested in the comment I found that your car accelerates faster when you pump the gas, as that what happens with my car [:s]

15. Seraph Banned

not heard that one before!?!

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

Well spoke to Mike from JBS, really nice chap. Basically I'm going to try and get VAG COM on it ASAP, then if there's multiple problems get it serviced ASAP as its still driveable, but if problems persist JBS said they take it back in to look and change the map if needs too-champion! :)

Will VAG COM pick up the EGR valve or N75 valve is faulty?

17. Seraph Banned

should pick it up, both electonically connected to ecu, but cant guarentee.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006