Reclaim Your Bank Charges!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TANGO77, Feb 21, 2007.

1. VR666M Forum Member

Sometimes I love my bank (HSBC)

Just pulled this from their website:

Our Fair Fees Policy
    Our Fair Fees Policy means that we will not charge any fees for agreeing either formal or informal overdraft requests, unless they occur frequently.

You will not have to pay for your first agreed overdraft request (formal or informal) in any 6 month period. Each further request in a 6 month period may incur an arrangement fee.
    You will not have to pay fees for being overdrawn by 10 or less.
    You will not have to pay more in fees than you are overdrawn by in your charging month, so a 15 overdraft will not cost you 50.
    You will not have to pay a fee for an informal overdraft request if your account is credited with covering funds by the end of the same day.

2. thegolfman Forum Member

Thats bull!!!
    Im with hsbc and was charged 30quid overdraft fees and 10 for it not being agreed... Just for putting an extra tenners worth of fuel in my car when i thought i had the money!!!
    40 for a tenner overdrawn. Sounds fair [:s]

Im claiming my money back as i write this. Ive worked out 380 they owe me for the past 3 years!!!

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

A) I'm not related to you, therefore I am not your "bruv". "Bruv" is not even a word...

B) There is obviously no hope for you as I have clearly said claiming back the charges is not a problem, but as Dex, Elucidate and others have said, its still down to you to make sure you do your maths sums propperly.

4. TANGO77 Forum Member

oh shut it...

you go on like a bird!! get over it..

5. b'locks Forum Addict

i have no problem managing my financies these days thanks, but a couple of years ago i was left in a very difficult situation financially due to a relationship break up and a mortgage which i couldn't afford. it took me a long while to claw back out of the rut i was in and during that time i accidently went into the red a couple of times. I incurred 105 charges in one month for going over by about 6. how is that justice and what gives a bank the right to make things even harder for someone who is blatantly struggling to make ends meet and even break the law in the process!?

a person should be entitled to slip over the into the red now and again without being penalised so harshly by their bank. people make mistakes.

there is a very big difference between someone who spends spends spends without giving a toss about the consequences and someone who accidently spends a tiny amount too much.

the penalty should not be so damn harsh, and that's the whole point here. the banks charge way, way too much and people should be given a little bit of slack if they're over by a couple of quid now and again. not bent over and butt ****ed.

the banks and credit loan companies are very much to blame for the debt of this country as well as the people who blindly spend what they can't afford. both are irresponsible and greedy.

now get off your high horse and stop pontificating because you sound like an ignorant stuck up tw@t.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Your right, and you clearly have the mentality that I do. Charging 50 for going overdrawn is not on, but blaming the bank for going overdrawn in the first place is also not on, which is the argument Tango777 was using, and it was really annoying me.

7. b'locks Forum Addict

going overdrawn for the first time is obviously the fault of the individual. but when a bank charges you say over 100 for it which is debited the following month, then they are themselves contributing to your financial hardship and making you far more likely to make the same mistake again. it's a viscious circle and the banks are to blame for this viscious circle. a person should be entitled to screw up once in a while without being plundered into even more debt through the greed of their bank.

8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Yer I'd agree with that. The charge needs to be more realistic - say 5...

9. b'locks Forum Addict

yep, there'd be no complaints from me there :thumbup:

10. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

No need for that - criticise Ideas not People.

If it turns into a personal ****ging match then I'll go find the ban button.

Cheers

Dex

11. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I think most people will agree that being charged for going overdrawn is perfectly reasonable. But the law says that charges can only recover costs incurred, not be punitive.

Now as for the last bit - if banks are only charging their costs in account charges and this means the end of free banking, then it means that the people going overdrawn were subsidising your free banking.

12. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Spot on mate.

I think the OFT are making a statement at the end of next week about what a "reasonable" fee is.... and I reckon by this time next year free bank accounts will be a thing of the past.

13. nimbus dare Forum Member

graham has hit the nail on the head. not everyone gets into debt because they bought a new tv. some are family circumstances

i saw this idea a few years back....i've only just realized this could help my mum who while bringing up 2 kids on her own has got herself in a lot of debt,

the bank didnt question once her situation when they took her money unfairly. i'll have no hesitation it getting it back.

thanks

14. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Are you that far up your boss's **** you need to suck up to the bank you work at on a car forum?

You need all new life.

Yes, life includes new updated features like women, pub's, wolverhampton (for some reason it hasn't been deleted.... yet) and hobbies.
    So apply today, all you need to do is step outside your front door and take your nose out of your boss.

15. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Urrr I dont work at a bank. I quit because they are c*nts.

Go read all the facts and come back with something sensible.

16. Nordoff Forum Junkie

17. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

so why shouldnt people that go overdrawn subsidise my free banking? it is after all my money they are spending.

18. thegolfman Forum Member

So how much of YOUR money are we spending then? It makes me laugh when people come out with stuff like that. I understand what your saying, but unless you've got millions in the bank, we're not touching your savings.
    Its not exactly like were borrowing it either... Its still sitting there for when you want it!

19. Dubya Forum Junkie

Yes, I totally agree, the banks are a bit hard up so it is only fair they charge unlawful sums to keep their heads above water.

20. G60. Forum Member

can you claim back credit card charges on late repayments by a few days?