Recommend a sealant

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Gtinick, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Gtinick

Gtinick Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, I have managed to acquire another complete in tank fuel sender. However it needs a new lift pump which I have. My question is this, what sealant should I use around the bottom of the metal fuel feed silencer bearing mind that it is constantly immersed in petrol. I know that I could dispense with the fuel silencer but as it’s in good condition sI might as well keep it.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what do you mean exactly

3. Gtinick

Hi John, Thanks for the interest. The lift pump failed and I have bought a new pump and a spare tank housing from Mk2 Spares. I would like, if possible to still use the metal silencer but the mastic?rubber? that it has around the bottom inlet and the top outlet has perished with age. If I am to use this silencer (not necessary I know) I need to replace the rotted/perished seals at the top and bottom. I am trying to find such a sealant. Hence the post. I guess most people just use a short piece of suitable pipe.

Any ideas? Plus I have a perfect three pin tank assembly that came from an early Jetta and could also be used if you would be kind enough to tell me which pins to connect together on the car loom. (It’s a CE2. 90 spec 16V. GTI ).

Thank you

Nick

4. rubjonny

oh the bit of hose that goes between the pump and the main assembly? the metal thing is just a hose reducer

if you want to fit a 3 pin pump on a 4 pin you just match up the wire colours and leave the brown/blue disconnected (post-90 has separate earth for pump and level sender, pre-90 they're combined)

5. Gtinick

John, thanks you are on the ball. I’ll sling the reducer in the bin and use some fuel hose I have.
    Saw on your reply about the subscription and it pricked my heart and wallet. I have renewed and added my handle to the order, my membership card is missing so no membership number - sorry.
    Out of interest the young man on my avatar (grandson) now has his own steering wheel!!!
    Thanks again.

Nick

6. rubjonny

7. Gtinick

Thanks John. Good and useful thread.

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Make sure you use submersible fuel line (Cohline In Tank hose is what I use at work).

Normal fuel hose will delaminate when submerged in fuel.