Redex direct in fuel lines..

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by James827, Jun 26, 2014.

1. James827 New Member

would this be a good idea? like diesel purge where you put the lines in the bottle and run the engine?

think i have a gammy idle jet.. putting it in the tank seemed to stop the issues while running but its still not perfect

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Seems like a strange way to proceed versus taking the idle jet out so you can see it to clean it? (Take little vertical tube away from above it, then it unscrews)

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

petrol car wont run on neat redex

4. James827 New Member

any pictures of where the idle jet is and what i have to remove? i can provide pics of my Carb..

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The blue arrow is pointing at the base of the vertical tube I'm on about. Remove the single Philips screw that holds that in place, then that tube bit pulls away upward. Idle jet assembly is underneath, make sure you find a flat-blade screwdriver that fits nicely into the slots before you try to undo this. While the tube bit is off, check that the slot or pair of holes on the side of it near the base are unobstructed/clean.

[​IMG]

6. James827 New Member

that's is the mixture screw right? don't really want to upset that haha mixture on mine is near perfect!

misread, so the little Philips head the the left of the blue arrow?

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Yep, Philips head screw to remove the metal tube with the mixture screw inside it. Once you get that out of the way you'll see the brass idle jet/emulsion tube assembly that requires a nicely-fitting flat screwdriver. :thumbup:

You should find an o-ring at the base of the metal tube when you look at it from beneath. It may need replacing, depending on whether/when it has been previously removed.

Whereabouts are you based James?

8. James827 New Member

carb was rebuilt in march so its all new! o ring is in good shape with no cracking or other problems. i think i just ran it low on fuel and got some crud in it! im still chasing the issue in the other thread as in the car will struggle to start and rise up from a few hundred RPM to about 1k or 1200 rpm. instead of shooting up to 2K smoothly and then going down to 1500. i couldn't get the jet out with the carb on the car so il have to remove the whole carb at a later date and tip it upside down or something!

Im based in Sunny South East Wales

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Pair of tweezers or similar might be needed to extract the idle jet once it's unscrewed fully.

I'll have another look at your other thread later if I get a chance.

10. James827 New Member

tweezers are a good shout.. il go look for some