Refurbished gearbox leak!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Cressa, May 28, 2023.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

What the hell... the car hasn't been anywhere since fitting the gearbox months ago and today I noticed a little oil drip hanging below the green cap
    Any ideas welcome
    20230528_165614.jpg

2. watercooled Forum Member

A lot of people fit these dry but I always put a lick of blue Hylomar on them,never had a leak even when reusing the old one.

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Was that on the green cap?
    Sounds like a good idea. I suppose I didn't expect oil to be at this area..... but what do I know

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They don’t make the green cap anymore so I can only assume it’s maybe a bit of a dodgy seal as it’s not OEM

5. watercooled Forum Member

Good point ,seem to remember the only genuine one I fitted many years ago was a very tight fit.

6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

You'll maybe recall I'd an issue with my 'box way back before the car was finally on the road?

Anyhow had to take that green cap off a few times trying to pin down the problem, so much so eventually bought a bundle of them as they're pretty much single use.

Broke my heart prising off the original 'VW' embossed one.

Read somewhere it's the green paint itself that acts to make the seal.

That's why the first replacement I got stood out in my mind as it was only painted on the outer face, the inside lip was bare metal... don't recall the brand now.

Didn't matter as it turned out, it was off again soon after and those that followed were Topran instead, can confirm they're painted completely on both sides.

Last one's been on over a year now and still as tight as a drum.

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

New one ordered and I may just run a bead a some type of sealant to make sure. Double sided paint I understand why now !

8. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Had a look and it was good old BrokeVW that mentioned the paint being the seal.

Don't remember now if it was a Meyle lid I got that didn't have the reverse painted but images of theirs online seems to suggest it might've been.

Have you tried pressing the existing one on more firmly, I replaced mine three or four times over in a short space of time so got a bit of practice in because of it

Light hammering on a flat bit of wood, working around the edge got it on tight.

There's some shocking prices being asked for these on the likes of eBay ... Autodoc'll do the for less than £1.50 each!

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Buy a tube of this, never found a better sealant.
    20140514_213352.jpg 20140514_213409.jpg

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Saying that I bought a few from VW Heritage and the one on the car hasn't leaked.

As you say shame to destroy an OEM one but that is how they were designed.

11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks gents. I shall try tapping this one a little more just to see. As I have ordered one, if fitted it shall have some sealant on it definitely.
    My lack of knowledge never thought oil would be behind this.
    Everyday is a school day

12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well it was a Meyle one that turned up and as said before, only painted on one side. Thanks for the tip gents as I have sealed it on fitting..
    I agree on it being heartbreaking on removing the original embossed vw item
    I jacked the car up on this side in the hope that there wouldn't be much oil behind it. For once that worked

Attached Files:

KeithMac and PhilRyder like this.
  13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Make sure you set gearbox oil level spot on as 5th gear is under that end casing (all on it's own) and first to suffer oil starvation issues.

14. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

. Mine is an early one. I cant remember what it is now but I did research where you have to add more to the one with a lower filler than the other.... I think.
    Cant have been that long ago and I've forgotten already.
    There is no leak at the moment since the swap, so thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions

KeithMac likes this.
  15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes for early box they are still using the MK1 casing and since the MK2 engine is leant over backwards more the old oil fill/level hole is now too low. easy to ID, when you know what to look for
    http://www.brokevw.com/020oil.html