Remove Hella Quad Lens

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Aug 11, 2023.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi folks,

has anyone successfully removed the lens on Hella quads? I want to clean the inside of the lens. I’ve had a little go with a heat gun but so far it doesn’t seem to be freeing it from housing. Is there another way? I don’t want to damage the already fragile quads. IMG_6753.jpeg

Cheers

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I have heard of people popping the lense in the oven to gently soften the adhesive but I wouldn't have the minerals myself as I burn even pizza.

I would persevere with the heat gun technique but go easy, all you need is for the adhesive to give in one place so you can start to ease the lens away and the rest will come off easy.

I have also hear of people using a cloth on a stick and going in to clean through the bulb hole if that's an option saves any destruction?

paulm2322 likes this.
  3. watercooled Forum Member

It won't work or atleast not when I tried ,however I may have not got it heat enough ....don't know, I was trying to remove a cracked lense from 1 inner light.
    Thrust me that glue is tough stuff , I did have success but not by heating.
    To clean all the insides I used window cleaner then cut a piece of micro-fibre cloth on to a chopstick,all cleaned up real nice.

paulm2322 likes this.
  4. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, that’s what I do, glass cleaner and bit of fabric on a piece of wire that can be bent at 90degs after insertion.

paulm2322 likes this.
  5. paulm2322

Thanks everyone. Definitely don’t want to break lens so I will try and clean with glass cleaner from inside with chopstick etc.

6. paulm2322

Wow! I just sprayed some alcohol glass cleaner inside and swilled it about for a minute and they’re clean again! (Left one not done on pic for comparison). Thanks for tips folks, glad I’ve managed to clean them without damaging glass.

IMG_6764.jpeg

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  7. paulm2322

It didn’t work. Once the alcohol glass cleaner had dried, the lens looked the same again. I used the wire with rag method. I could only reach a small area. It confirmed that they can be cleaned properly though because that area is now clean. I might attempt lens removal one more time. If I feel it’s going to break I will just leave them as they are.

8. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Did the MK2's years ago and came up well, used the piece of cloth on something semi-flexible to manoeuvre around the inside.

Do recall using dishwasher rinse aid neat at the same time, then cleaning the inside out in a bucket of warm water.

Hair dryer via the bulb aperture afterwards evaporated any droplets remaining incase they caused water marks.

9. paulm2322

It’s the crosshairs inside the headlight that restricts the ability to clean it with a cloth on mine. So annoying because I know they will clean up great if I could just get at inside of lens [:s]

10. paulm2322

IMG_6787.jpeg I did it. Persistent heat gun on low setting finally freed the original sealant and allowed me to remove glass safely. Gave them a nice clean then refitted using butyl sealant off Amazon (£10.99 for roll). Only time will tell if they’re sealed from moisture exposure.

I’ve discovered my original twin chamber Hellas are damaged inside now (another thread beckons for repair help)!

Thanks again for everyone’s advice. IMG_6786.jpeg

11. watercooled Forum Member

Oh ok thought they were for mk2 for some reason doh !!,well done ,these lights must have a less sticky sealant for sure...good result,cheers.

paulm2322 likes this.
  12. paulm2322

Thanks watercooled. Appreciate your help.