Removing exhaust tunnel heat shield

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Dennis10, Feb 10, 2011.

1. 1.8T-20v New Member

I just used a beer bottle cap instead of the star thingies ,and they are still holding on, you just need to install it properly

2. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I managed to crawl under the car last week and it is definitely not the tunnel heat shield, that is still firmly attached - It is actually further forward, around the gear lever area under the car, I think it is possible the heat shield for the exhaust manifold, I managed to reach under (couldnt see anything) and move/wobble something very easily, so I think it is this that caused a nasty scraping/banging sound when pulling away. Is this removable, or better yet, reattachable?!

3. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Have you checked all the engine mounts? Particularly the front one?

4. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I'm pretty sure it isnt engine mounts, have tried the rocking trick to see if there is any movement and it all seems ok.

This morning I was parked facing down a slight incline and when I started up the engine, the rattling was obvious from the start, rather than say when I pull away in 1st and 2nd. Weirdly, when I pushed down really hard on the floor/wall area behind the pedals the rattling got worse/louder - surely I shouldnt be able to warp that section of the car enough to cause whatever is rattling around (my bet is on heat shield behind exhaust manifold) to get worse - isnt it supposed to be a pretty solid bulkhead to take crash impact?!!

5. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Well thats the next thing to check I would say...