replacement gearbox for 8v gti

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by t_r_d, May 29, 2004.

1. t_r_d Forum Member

can i fit a mk3 gti 8v gearbox as a replacement for my mk2 gti
    8v box?

2. VDubGav Forum Member

If you want.

3. t_r_d Forum Member

is it a straight swap?

4. VDubGav Forum Member

You'd need the shifter as it's a cable change box.
    Just buy a 2nd hand box.

5. t_r_d Forum Member

cable change box? i thought early ones were rod change? but
    are they hydraulic clutch?

6. Joe_G Forum Member

There are Mk3 GTI rod boxes, GVK has one. They have longer ratios tho so will give you slightly less acceleration but more relaxed cruising.

Joe

7. VDubGav Forum Member

I thought they were all cable change and H.Clutch. I
    could be wrong though, maybe early ones may have
    been. I know 1.8GL mk3 was rod and cable clutch.

8. t_r_d Forum Member

so a mk3 gl is the answer then? cos the gear ratios are too
    short i find after driving my driver

9. faigolfgti Forum Member

How about the speedo meter gear?Because mk3 speedo meter gear and mk2 speedo meter gear is different and the speedo meter gear mounting housing also different?

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You just put the mk2 cable in the gearbox.

need a 16v clutch also as the DFQ has the larger input shaft.
    Edited by: G_V_K

11. Broke Forum Member

Are you talking about the electronic MK3 speedo? Here is a pic of a MK1 (top), MK2 (middle), and then MK3 speedo gear (bottom), they all go into the 020 trans in the same spot. The red gears are 15T, the white gear is a 16T.
    Red gear for 3.667:1 R&P, and white gear for 3.941:1 R&P.
    There is a green gear as well, for the 4.25:1 ring and pinion sets, but not in the pic.
    [​IMG]
    In the pic you can see a bolt kit equipped diff, which as I understand it is not a huge issue in the UK. Here in the States, the factory rivets always let go, and SMS (Self Machine Syndrome) the trans, where the rivet head breaks off, and is spun around inside until it machines a hole in the case, and destroys the R&P and various other bearings and gears inside the trans.
    Keen eyes will notice the diff is just mocked up, no retaining clips on the bevel gear shaft, and the ring gear is just laid on the housing, not seated yet. I was just checking the alignment of the bolts on the ring gear on that diff ;)

Broke

12. faigolfgti Forum Member

Thanks broke!For your reply with the picture i think i can go ahead with my mk3 gear box transplan,i have one more question to ask you hope you can advise me,the reason for me to use the mk3 box is because taller 5th gear 0.85ratio hope will increase my top speed,now i am using mk2 16v box 5thgear 0.91.(pro and con of this two gear box)

13. Broke Forum Member

Well, besides the ratio differences, there is a possibility of a difference on the pinion shaft in the MK3 trans. The pinion shaft where 4th gear attaches in the MK2 trans is about 2mm thicker than the 8V MK2 trans, and some MK3 2.0L trans.
    As of yet, I simply do not have enough experience to say for sure which of the MK3 trans will have this larger pinion shaft. I have seen them with and without this larger pinion shaft. In addition to the larger pinion shaft for 4th gear, it is held on with an additional circlip on the shaft for 4th.

The MK2 16V trans (2Y and AGB) are both equipped with the larger pinion shaft and additional circlip.
    The MK3 2.0L trans might have those changes. It might not.
    Whether or not this makes any difference is up to the kind of power you are putting down I'd say. I myself have not seen a problem with the pinion shaft and 4th gear on the smaller shaft equipped vehicles. I would venture to say that EITHER the MK3 or the MK2 16V trans will be completely fine for most applications. Both are equipped with the larger input shaft (from 22mm to 24mm), and otherwise are the same.

The most common problem I see HERE is in the differential. The rivets break off and destroy the box. If it isn't a rivet, then I find the part to wear the worst are the bevel gears inside the diff. Most of them have cavitation on the mating surfaces.

If your main reason for change is a different 5th gear, I'd suggest simply swapping in the 5th of your choice. VW used 0.71:1 5th gear sets on some trans in the MK3 and MK2 models. If you change to the MK3 trans, you'll notice a taller ratio jump between the gears compared to the MK2 box.
    Are you able to pull the 5th gear in your car now to redline?

Broke

14. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I have a Mk3 box in My Mk2 GTI. You need the 16V spinner plate.
    Mine is a rod change box. For me the ratios are better now, I think its only 4th and 5th that are different anyway.
    There is a site somewhere detailing the ratios of the different car/boxes. :)

15. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Hi there Broke, you shold find that all 020 crown wheels and diffs will have the same hole PCD's ,although I have come across diffs with larger diameter holes. If you come across this, you can aquire small spacer tubes with a very thin wall that will fit into the holes to reduce their size.

16. Broke Forum Member

I did not know that about the different size holes in the diffs. What I meant was I was checking the alignment of bolts that were pressed into the diff housing, in relation to the gear. I just wanted to be sure after pressing in these Pelolok bolts that they were all sticking straight up and down nicely. They are ;)
    All I need to do is bring the gear up to 212F and it should drop right on.
    You don't happen to have a part number for these reduction tubes, do you? They would be handy to keep track of in case I need them in the future.

Broke

17. faigolfgti Forum Member

Hi BROKE!The mk3 gear box i plan to put in my mk1 gti is from mk3 1.8CL,the ratio is 1st-3.45,2nd-1.94,3rd-1.37,4th-1.03,5th-0.85 and final drive-3.67:1,the reason to do this is to increase my mk1 gti top speed because with my current mk2 16v gear box the 5th gear ratio is 0.91 the max my engine to rev is up to 5800rpm about 116mph is not enough for me so with the taller 5gear should increase my top spped will it work?

18. Broke Forum Member

The differences I spoke about above pertain to the MK3 2.0L engines, which pretty much match the 16V MK2 box. I cannot say for certain that the same will hold true to the trans on MK3 cars equipped with a 1.8L.

Between the 1.8L and the 2.0L MK3 boxes, the ratios are different I am sure of. The internal differences I cannot say for sure. I am quite sure that a .85 5th gear will fit your MK2 16V trans, and might be a simpler and cheaper route for you to go to attain a higher top end speed.

If you can currently do 116mph in 5th at 5800RPM, swapping to a .85 gear will take you to about 125mph, and a .71 gear will take you to 149mph. This being figured with an online calculator, so it wouldn't be perfectly accurate, but it gives you an idea of the difference between the 3 gears.

You'd have to have a LOT of grunt to pull a .71 gear to the top, taking all things into consideration.

Broke