Replacement MK2 rear calipers

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by RichardDarrenB, Jun 11, 2023.

1. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

One of the rear calipers is binding ever so slightly on my mk2 and I noticed both sides were mega tight to wind in when I did a recent disc and pad change. MoT is looming so looking at replacing both sides.

Anyone have any experience with the likes of the below on ebay - seem a bit too cheap to me but if anyone can recommend I might opt for them?

Cheers

Screenshot_20230611-090149_eBay.jpg

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Always reluctant to recommend something, even if I found it to be good... just waiting for someone to say I got this or that on your recommendation then the wheels fell off.

The front and rear brakes on my MK2 were shot, plus on that car I wasn't too hung up on everything being 10/10 original.

Went for Esen SKV (big Polish outfit that seem to make their own, not just move on far eastern stuff) calipers all round... to my hobby mechanics untrained eye they appeared to be excellent quality, were easily put on and have been working 100% since with no signs of that changing.

Got them on Autodoc, it's a broken record I know but they were very sensibly priced on a big discount day.

Had a look just now and that brand's no longer available through them but plenty of other named ones are... the cheapest are much the same price per pair as those you've shown from eBay.

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I put Mk4 ones on mine, less chance of sticking iirc.

Brake flexi lines are different but handbrake cable works OK.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’ve just bought a set of them in the OP.

we’ll see what they’re like.

I was going to go Mk4 with adapters but the length on them seems longer and I can’t be bothered to change anything for the syncro stuff

5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Used them on my mk2, but mk4 type no problem, and on the polo, 256 vents and even my A4, it was cheaper to buy those new than a second hand set on that, even my 280 front calipers were from that company and I used g60 carriers sourced elsewhere.
    Even got a set off them for the kia, as couldn't get a full rebuild kit for less, so was an easy choice.

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the input, think I'll grab a set and see how I get on.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you're going with new calipers for a post-88 mk2, buy mk3 ones. direct swap and improved internal handbrake mech so less chance of siezing (at least, on quality units :lol:)

I'd be a bit wary of that listing as it shows all mk2 84-92, but the calipers changed in 1988 from 36mm piston with cable on top and flexi on bottom, to 38mm piston with cable on bottom and flexi on top