Replacement Transporter engine

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Vento Mike, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Does anyone know if there or what the differences between the mk3 tdi engine and the transporter engines are, I'm talking about the bare block and head. I'm after a tdi engine to replace in a transporter and am just looking in to what options I have. Ther previous engine overheated causing severe piston and bore damage.

Thanks in advance!

2. danster Forum Addict

Which Transporter, T4?

If it is a T4 then the oil dipstick goes in the rear of the block on the T4 engines.
    [​IMG]

This block is not drilled for the dip stick, but you can see the boss for it above the second main bearing in from the left at the sump mounting face. It possible to drill it out to enable fitting. Pretty sure the bolts for the OS engine mount to block are M10 for the T4, instead of M8 on the TDI block. (mk1 golfs use these mounting holes but mk2 golfs went to the rear mounting points).
    Oil pickup pipe is different too as the engine lies forward.
    Is yours a 1X na or an ABL turbo at the moment?

3. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

ABL turbo I presume it's not an NA engine should have stated that!

Thanks mate

4. aidanb22 Forum Member

Remember T4 didn't have a 1.9 TDI, twas only TD. As far as I know late AAZ and early 1Z were similar blocks, but still different pistons obviously, and completely different head. Danster may confirm other differences

5. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Yes sorry this is a td not intercooled. Dipstick is indeed at the rear. Does it need to be fitted on the rear? Will it foul anything if left on the front of the block? NOt really a problem to drill it in a new location tho.

6. aidanb22 Forum Member

You can't use the mk3 TDI engine is what I mean, you need the TD engine i.e AAZ if getting from mk3. 1Z or AHU is no good

7. danster Forum Addict

As the engine is canted forward it makes it very hard to reach the dip stick if it was on the front. It would need modifying anyway to measure the correct oil level. T4 sump is different to, which I forgot to mention above.
    If going TDI are you looking to fit all the electronic gubbins and ecu too? I am sure it can be done but loads of little jobs come to mind like fitting the throttle potentiometer instead of cable.

MTDI may be an option to save a load of electronic woes. This is where the injection pump is changed out for a direct injection style pump that has a throttle cable. Landrover Discovery TDI engine pump for example.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  8. m1keh Forum Member

9. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Sorry lads & thanks for your help....just to clarify is there any mk3 td engine that will go in the transporter just by modifying/changing the sump, pick up and dipstick position & the increase in engine mount thread diameter?

10. danster Forum Addict

Yes, as Aidan mentioned there is the AAZ turbo diesel from earlier mk3s that could be fitted if you do the modifications to the block and swap all your ancillaries over. You may need to change the injector pump if you find a late AAZ because they have a little electronic gubbins on the injector pump for emissions.
    Your own pump can be used. Easy enough as no doubt you will be fitting a new timing belt anyway so re-timing the pump would be getting done anyway.
    New boy ELVIS, posted an excellent link showing a worth while modification to prevent failure of the crank timing belt pulley which can be an issue on these engines.
    http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/fixing-loose-jx-bottom-pulley_topic31849.html

11. jettadan Forum Member

12. danster Forum Addict

That does not sound good Dan. [xx(]

I think I have a bottom pulley here that has no damage if you need a good one to start the pinning job.
    But this is only any use if there is not horrendous terminal damage to your engine.

13. jettadan Forum Member

Engine still runs, just, although won't tick over on its own even with full choke and chucks out clouds of white smoke. Belt is also loose - had it bodged a couple of years ago when it chewed up the original pully and a new one was fitted.

I've not had chance this week to get under it to see whats what as it was 11.30pm when i got home on sunday and been busy ever since!

Once its fixed its going on ebay!

Thanx for the offer - i'll let you know how i get on :thumbup:

14. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

15. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Legends thanks so much for your help!

:thumbup:

16. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member