Retrim/refoam exisiting seats or buy new?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by luke w, Mar 16, 2016.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Bit of a long shot because I doubt this comes up very often, but my Magnum seats in my track Mk2 have seen better days and in a number of areas the fabric and foam has worn away to the point where the fibreglass is visible. Question is, has anyone had a pair of bucket seats retrimed and new foam putting on them before, and if so how much did it cost and who did them? I've contacted a few places for quotes and they've been no use at all, they say they need to see the seats in person before they can give a quote or just haven't even bothered getting back to me.

2. Cupra_Rally Forum Member

I did my own as the fabric on the seats wasn't completely shot.

[​IMG]

Yes they are a different design, but the principle is the same as the foam is usually just glued on. You can get foam of different thicknesses and densities from a local upholstery supplier and should all be fire retardant. If your fabric has worn through you might find a local upholsterer would knock up new ones for you....the tricky bit is getting it looking smooth with no baggy bits.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  3. EMJAYS Paid Member Paid Member

We managed to get a couple of seats off ebay very cheap the cloth was tatty and foam tired ,the foam we got from a local
    store not as cheap as i thought , and the cloth was on ebay about 15 quid a square metre. After a few hours de stitching
    we made up the templates and on the mrs sewing machine put it back together the end result was they now look brand
    new if you have the time have a go and save the seats . ... ps it cost me a sewing machine as very shortly after it packed
    up and of course it was my fault lol