RHD A/C GTI

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Chris Tyas, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Chris Tyas Paid Member Paid Member

Cross posted on vwgolfmk2.co.uk..

Hi,
    I've an '89 8v 5 door GTI with options; I'm wondering if it's the only RHD GTI with factory A/C on the road?
    I've tried to find another for a while and failed but would be happy to know someone else in the UK.
    There's quite a few with factory A/C in the US but tend to be diesels for some reason.

Also has full grey leather, all 4 electric windows, electric heated mirrors & light washer jets from the factory.
    I have CE1 factory seat heating to fit and factory cruise control will be installed shortly.

Also got a RHD 5 door '89 syncro in storage, I actually bought the GTI to get the syncro back on the road but the GTI was too good to break so I have a full syncro system with Rallye discs at the rear (along with a Rallye cable change gearbox, transfer box and driveshafts) but can't decide whether to cut the GTI and install the Rallye syncro or not.

Chris T.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Wouldn't have thought its the only one left, but for sure there arent many of them around now. Sounds like you got most of the options ticked and those missed off soon installed :lol:

unless you hve big power plans for the GTI I dont think its worth the effort installing the syncro system personally, as you already have a syncro maybe install it all in there instead?

3. Chris Tyas Paid Member Paid Member

This finally happened:
    20220120-183932.jpg 20220120-184120.jpg

Oh God, why wont it let me post images? I really want to engage with forums but stuff like this just turns me off.
    ok, it seems that all images in the forum I'm viewing are a small default image with a red cross on it including my own but when I preview my post the images are there???

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I can see your photos, I believe you need 10 posts before you can upload photos. If you truly want to engage then spend the 10 pounds and become a member - it will support this forum which at this stage is one of the only but most certainly the best around for any help and queries.

PhilRyder and Vinnie like this.
  5. rubjonny

the problem is image ibb for whatever reason wont let us directly download your pictures to our image proxy. we need this option switched on so HTTPS functionality works. you cant have a mix n match of http and https images it breaks the functionality so we have to copy every image linked in forum posts to our server and host it there to get this working

as said, once you get 10 posts you get upgraded to full member then you can upload images direct to the forum which is the best way to ensure they never get lost. the image proxy cached images will eventually time out and get lost if the source image is deleted. or we could have another photobucket-gate where they decide to force their watermark on all images without warning

6. Chris Tyas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the reply costel1969, you are saying that I can't post images until I have posted ten times but also that you can see the images I have posted?
    I can not see about 90% of images (just get the small blue screen with a red cross on it) but can see 10% with no indication of why.
    I would love to pay and become a member again. I've just spent a few minutes looking for a link or a page to do so, when I click on my name at the top right of the page I get:

Club GTI - Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

When I hold on my name I get a menu of options, none of them appear to have anything to do with membership or payment for membership?

7. Chris Tyas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, I understand your comment but it doesn't explain why I can't view about 90% of images on the forum but can view some or why I can't view my own (cached) images but someone else can?
    And how do I become a paid member?

8. rubjonny

to become a paid member you click the shop icon at the top of the page :) the reason you cant see your own profile page is for the same reason, you arent a full member I'll upgrade you now manually as clearly you arent a spammer anyway ;)

there are many reasons why images wont load, one of the top ones is simply the images no longer exist, the older the thread the more likely this is. also some members choose to delete their photobucket account and so images lost. sometimes the web proxy goes wrong, I found it didnt like my work proxy server so would sometimes fall over. some image hosts dont like the way our image proxy tries to download and re-host the images, or just straight up dont allow hot linking so you have to post a link to click which takes you to their page

post up some examples of the pages not working and I'll take a look

Chris Tyas and Toyotec like this.