Risks of buying a gearbox?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by wussel, Mar 27, 2004.

1. wussel Forum Member

I have the oppertunity to buy a second hand 16v gearbox at a very cheap price. It has apparently got a Quaife ATB diff fitted. It has sat around for about 2 years waiting to go in car which never happened, so he wants to get rid of it.

I don't know for certian yet how many miles it has done, or if it had a rebuild when the Diff was fitted. Can I tell if the box is good with out fitting it to my car? How can i tell if the Diff is actually fitted? What seals are likly to be needing changing after so long with out use, I also assume it would be best to change the oil before fitting.

2. matt d Forum Member

Andy if it's cheap just buy it.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You can't really tell if it's got a Quaife in without driving it, as Matt says - buy it if the price is right, the diff (if fitted) won't wear out so even if the rest of the box is no good, it can always be rebuilt.. :)

4. madmk4 Forum Member

It could alwys have the plastic speedo drive inside the casing aswell... I don't think anyone would be silly enough to do that though :lol: :p :lol:
    Edited by: madmk4

5. Andy947 Forum Addict

Surely it'll be easy to tell if its got one fitted - jus try and turn the output cups??

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Even the standard diff has 2% limted slip, so by turning it by hand both the output shafts will turn the same direction.

Seem to remember Phatty posting that even with the wheels off the floor a Quaife doesn't spin both wheels in the same direction - search for the posts by Steve R?

Mart - b0ll0x :lol:

7. madmk4 Forum Member

You certainly should know better at your stage of hairloss G :lol:

8. wussel Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I am still waiting to hear from the bloke selling it, I have only found out about it through a friend of his on the internet by accident. Will have to wait and see.

9. baxter basics Forum Member

bought a 2nd hand 020 off ebay for 45,- had a recon 5th and new seals (the guy had the recipt)

'kin 5th disintegrated after 3 weeks...

got a 2nd hand one from a dismantlers in Portslade- 100-whines like a beaten dog...

the original one had a crunchy 2nd otherwise fine-should have kept it
    if it aint really F****D, keep it
    020s are a bit of a lottery

10. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Baxter, I'm so glad you posted that!

I've definitely decided that I'm just going to drive mine to destruction now.
    Can't trust anything you buy off Ebay.

11. wussel Forum Member

Well, just found out tonight that I won't be buying it. It has been sold to somone else. I never had fist refusal or anything, so I am not too bothered. Even if I did get it I would have had to get loads of engine mods to take advantage of it...