Road Angel

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by mk2monster, Jun 18, 2006.

1. mk2monster

mk2monster Forum Member

i bought a road angel about a year ago wen i recieved 3 points! i havnt even been drivin 2yrs yet so it was bit worrying. since ive had it i havnt been near a single hand held gatso that the boys in blue use, and in a way is frustrating, i wanna know if it works, as my m8 had one and it didnt!!

2. gti8v Forum Member

i've just been askin' about these on another forum, it seem they only go off when the plod shoot you [:s]
    so going on that info they pretty useless, as if they shot you it's too late,

unless someone wants to convince me they work i won't be getting one.

3. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

They do capture laser fragments when the police target other cars. Lets remember the police are not meant to target every car, but to select at random :lol:

Mine has picked up everything it meant to and has saved me quite a few times. ;)

4. gti8v Forum Member

how much warning do they give to you ?
    seriously considering one but not convinced.

5. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Well I picked up a camera van before i could even see it. For all other camera's it gives as much warning as you want, depending on you own settings. I think they are a life saver when it comes to keeping your licence. I have gone from the Road Angel Classic to the New Road Angel and i cannot fault either of them.

6. gti8v Forum Member

ah, didn't realise you could change the settings....

7. richellis Forum Member

got a compact but has no laser detector. (can buy them) cant fault it. saved me on a few occasions

8. gti8v Forum Member

so where does the laser detector go?
    does it plug in somewhere..how much are they?

9. madmonkey Forum Addict

Are the compacts off Ebay ok? Seem to go cheaply.

10. EADubber Forum Member

Plugs in the side with the radar detector on the screen, you can get an extension to fix it near you number plate if required. However as said before most radar/lazer systems need to 'paint' a flat surface to get a reading ie. your windscreen so by then you may be out of luck....
    Having said that i have a compact and its really good can't fault it. Doesn't give false warnings for fixed sites ie on the other side of the road lets you know what time of enforcement it is ie speed over distance - even good in road works.

11. POD

pod New Member

i have 9 points and i have a road angel and its been a real god send as far as telling me and reming me where all the cameras are ,but the other day i saw some frendly looking plod so as i had nevver been caut by a moble laser i asked them if they would try to catch me i turned round came back towards them with one of the cops in the car and the other one pointed and shoot me the thing worked, but sadley i could not brake in time and i would have had 3 extra points now. He told me it takes well uner a sec to get the fix on my car so i dont think when it tells u your being lased youl ever be in time .but for all that i think its a great thing pod

12. dirtydubber Forum Member

I have had a Road Angel for a couple of years, it is great at letting you know where fixed camera sites are, very handy if your traveling anywhere unfamiliar, and the blackspot alert feature is useful as it lets you know where mobile sites are 'likely' to be, however.....
    I was caught by 2 seperate camera vans earlier this year, without so much as a peep from the road angel[8(] Got 6 points and 200 for the first one, still waiting for the summons for the second one, and I was going faster past that one! So in my case, the road angel definatly did not save my licence[:x] Apart from its complete inabillity to detect the talivan, it has warned me in plenty of time of fixed GATSO's that I might otherwise of missed.