RoadHawk and On-board cameras - Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by samfish, Jul 5, 2013.

1. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Is anybody using a camera in their vehicle for insurance reasons?
    What are your thoughts?
    What camera are you using?

After a recent accident, the third party is disputing the claim (shouldn't be an issue, so I am told), and it would all be much quicker if I could show show some video evidence....

The roadhawk cameras seem popular on the internet:
    This one is cheapest:
    http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dash-camera-roadhawk-720.html

Any views or experience?
    Sam

2. Collie Forum Junkie

lots of haulage firms are now using such things, its a massive help when a muppet cuts up an hgv and then slams on.

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I've had a DVR in my daily (T4 van) for several years now.

I'm not using a fancy expensive unit though - it's just this kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1280P-Hd-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5656cb631b

Search for "car DVR" on eBay and you find loads like that. Just avoid the very cheap ones with crap resolution.

Yeah, something like the Roadhawk gives you so much more, but at the end of the day the most basic function you need is just recording decent images to SD card, which is what the above kind of thing will do.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

That looks good Luke. The only thing I'd say is that the advantage of a dedicated DVR unit is that it could be left permanently in place and neatly permanently wired to switched power, so that it'll always start recording when you drive. There's no hassle of having to mount the phone and start the app on each journey.

6. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks guys!
    Wow, that camera on ebay is so cheap!! Worth a punt.

I really want something discreet so I can leave it there permanently ... I may have to make a small black box to hide it in....

7. Collie Forum Junkie

wonder if you could mount in grill etc with perspex to protect lens?

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its an excellent app. We use it on the commute to work every day. Screen mount on the rear, wifes iPhone 4S takes video from the back of the car. Screen mount at the front, and my iPhone 5 takes the video from there.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

And do you upload to YouTube, the footage of minor traffic infractions you come across... [:[]

10. Lhotte New Member

I can see why these are so popular, however what happens if using an app, you take a phone call (as a passenger and your phone is being used, or connected to a hands free kit wireless, the legal ones?) Would it keep recording or not?

11. pphia New Member

I don't think a smart phone is a very good solution, while that might work OK in a pinch it's not really a permanent solution. The phone would be so much trouble to turn on and start the app running each time you drive somewhere then have to stop it when you arrive that it would quickly get forgotten or put away in the glove box instead of being used. A real dash cam that's designed to be used in a car will turn on automatically and start recording when you start the car then turn of a few minutes after you stop the car unless it's set to record while you are away so it's no hassle to use every time you drive the car. A phone can't do that.

Came across this yesterday while making a google search: http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html. Of course I have no personal experience but in case you couldn't find what you were looking for.