Royal Blue MK2 GTI, 16v KR then ABF, now abf management+widetrack

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by rubjonny, Feb 25, 2006.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

couple more pics of progress, its gotta get worse before it gets better :lol:
    [​IMG] gtirust2.jpg gtirust3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

How are you getting on with this John? Looks like some fairly major surgery :o

3. thegave Forum Member

Please don't say it was a top tint you broke!

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

RJ, do you need to borrow my little welder, or has the 'tame paint man' got it all under control?

5. rubjonny

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

7. G40

G40 Forum Member

Just read all of this, great thread rj :thumbup:

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I bet it's still dirty...

9. rubjonny

right well nearly 6 months after the car was done I'm finally putting up pics :lol:

They're a bit low res from phone but you get de idea
    gti43.jpg gti44.jpg gti45.jpg gti46.jpg gti47.jpg gti48.jpg gti49.jpg gti50.jpg gti51.jpg gti52.jpg

and as a final bonus, heres a pic of me looking really cool draped over the bonnet:
    gtiposer.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

looks a lot better than mine
    they did a good job of the rear arch and paint by the looks of it
    whats the other side like

11. rubjonny

the other side is 'ok for 23 year old car' :lol: previously it was the good side! i had a dent at the bottom of the quarter that he took out at the same time so its basically mint now on that side. i did try to convince him to gun the whole car but he didnt have the time, oh well.

as you can see he did it out of a small hut, so its pretty amazing how well it came out the guy certainly does have de skills! its not been buffed yet so a small amount of orange peel but you have to look hard to see the imperfections. far too good a paint job for my crappy car, it needs a lot more work to make it worth it! still needs welding underneath on the rear of the arches and i havent taken the driver side arch off for fear of what I will find :lol:

12. Kempster Forum Member

Loving the white footwell :)

13. rubjonny

yeah gives it a nice contrast over the dull black you normally see!

14. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Looks like a pretty good spray job for DIY. Did you use a compressor or cans?

How did you get the white paint out in the end?[><]

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice work from Jay, and having seen it, it's just as good in the metal! I have a scrap caliper for you to strip down, Mr RJ [:D]

16. rubjonny

my mate had full compressor setup and used proper 2k paint! wish i had the skills but sadly not :lol:

with the paint it was several hours worth of faff, i managed to get most of the paint out by carefully removign the carpet, luckily its quite waterproof. then it was a case of scrubbing the paint off the recaros and soaking up what was left in the footwell. i spend ages spraying the carpets with my garden hose but i dont think i got it all out, so a new carpet needed there. waht i could have done with was pressure washer really that would have blasted it out nee bother.

i was pretty lucky in that my recaros didnt get much on them, and neither did the door cards etc. the worst thing was i kept touchign things with my hands so i was forever chasing the paint around with a rag. i also didnt notice i put a massive blob on the bottom of my steering wheel till after it dried when i was pulling out the carpet so that is now ruined :lol:
    luckily the leather was ropey anyway and i actually had another one the same in stock i hadnt got round to fitting yet :thumbup:

still has no carpets, i noticed my front passenger footwell was soaked so i need to take the dash out to trace the leak, then i can finally redo all the insulation and put the bloody thing back together. i managed to splash white paint all over my bumper from the hose spraying which i didnt notice till after it had dried, so thats looking awesome. plus i still dont have a rear arch trim on passenger side as i need to drill holes :lol:

one day i'll find the time to finish it all off im sure, maybe 2015 at the current rate of speed :thumbup:

17. rubjonny

cheers mike! will try to get round to see you at some point if for nothing else a chat and some tea and biscuits :thumbup:

18. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Looks bob on, nice work :thumbup:

19. Chrisrpal Events Team

Wow what a nice story. Just read your whole thread on your MK2 build. You've had a few different engines in. Well worth keeping the shell with all that history.

I know a good body painter in Orpington, he does a great job at cheap prices. He's an 60 - 70 year old and has just done up a split screen camper!! Top notch work and still doing bodywork at his age.

20. rubjonny

yeah it turns out ive changed the engine more times than i have washed it :lol: