Run flat tyres ok to fit?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by mrglee, Aug 31, 2022.

1. mrglee Forum Member

MK3 golf GTi 205/50/r15
    Is it ok to fit run flats on standard rims?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It will probably be awful on tbem as the sidewalls are so rigid.

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Worth checking if TPMS is a legal requirement with run flats, even the vehicles age would ordinarily put it outside the scope.

From a day to day safety point of view might be advisable even the law doesn't require it.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

First thing I did on my mini was swap to normal tyres, less noise, lighter and far better ride as @Tristan says, they are rigid walled.
    From a personal view if its to save money, just try and get some second hand standard ones, loads of stuff runs 15s.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

My previous car had run flats as standard equipment, no choice in the matter.

I can see the thinking behind them, not having to change a tyre on the side of a dangerous road etc. etc.

I ran winter wheels and non-run flat tyres for half the year and the car was definitely far more comfortable (plus like for like they were much cheaper to buy).

I had one puncture in the almost 5 years I had the car... be aware even it's something you'd have easily got done on a standard tyre you may struggle to get a run flat repaired. Can mean a new tyre every time

All the bigger name places here wouldn't touch it, they don't know (nor do you probably) how long you've driven it below recommended pressure and caused unseen, internal damage.

That's why I was thinking TPMS was mandatory with them fitted, stops you driving on as normal and oblivious to a deflating tyre.

dodgy likes this.
  6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Personally I'd worry about an unknown puncture with having no tpms. But as for ride quality and noise I have them on my daily and I cant say I've noticed any detriment to either so wouldn't rule them out on that basis.

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Reading @Zender Z20 post reminded me, was only a few places that would swap the tyres due to the machine not being set up for them, was a while ago admittedly.
    Also my bmw had them mixed with normal tyres when got it, so ended up fitting new wheels complete with tyres within 2 days, then used one original as a spare, minimalising the already tiny boot.

Did have a set of Dunlop Denovo wheels for a mini 1275gt sat behind my old garage for years, now they were something else. Metric, bolt together and mousse canisters inside a rock solid tyre.

8. mrglee Forum Member

Thanks everyone will give them a miss shame cheap and good quality will pick something else.

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Cheap, and runflat, are not usually in the same sentence. I'd be wary of them