Running a diesel car on chip fat

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by AndrewF, Mar 31, 2008.

1. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Mk2 GTD - Veg Oil candidate?

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

There are a couple of people on the VWVortex running on straight veggie oil in diesel Mk1s with no apparent problems, so I'd say so...

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

ED38 had a nice caddy that was run soley on veggie oil with no problems, so presume the GTD is based on the same 1.6 block?

Local biodiesel supplier mainly uses used chip fat that he buys in bulk. Have a look on ebay, people actually sell large pallets of used chip fat/takeaway fat containers.

Apparently you can make biodiesel for very little money, i.e. like you say free used fat.

One guide I read basically just had used chip fat which was left to filter through paper filters a few times, then after that mixed in with the relative 'additive extras' needed in a bucket and then rest of the processes using general items from a household. Apparently the quality isn't brilliant, as its half-way between pure veg oil and biodiesel but works well as long as you get the mixture balance correct.

Another site says the use of a waterbutt and a central heating pipe attached....

Wouldn't mind a go but think by making biodiesel they say you're meant to declare the tax. I've considered going veggie oil with the old mk4 Polo 1.9D for cheap motoring doing trips to costco.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I think the situation with making your own is the same but different, if you know what I mean - you register with Customs as a "Fuel Producer", they send you a wee book in which you record how much you produce, and that is that, no duty. I could be wrong though.
    Sod paying for the stuff though, I'd only bother if it was free! There are two chippies within a minute's drive from me, and a chinky as well, I might have to ask them.

Any thoughts on running it (or new oil) in a Skoda Octavia SDI, 2004? It's already good on the juice but I have zero interest in it (inherited, not bought!), and if it kills the diesel pump I'd not be bothered replacing it, I'd probably just torch the thing...

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

Think there's a standard tax charge for biodiesel as its classified separately to normal veggie oil use....around 26-30p a litre apparently from an old veg-oil thread on the web.

SDI won't have the same PD driven pump which runs at thousands of PSI, so less likely to have pump issues at a guess but most places praise older robust diesel engines than modern ones.

Clublupo owners run their 1.7 SDI's (sieved down 1.9 block) with no issues. Octavia SDI???? Didn't think the bigger cars came with a sluggish SDI?! [:s]

Only time i've heard of modern diesels having issues is those with partical filters, but they tend to be the later 2.0 TDI units.

Read some people use white spirit instead to thin out veggie oil as its cheaper than using diesel itself???

However there's a major guide on making biodiesel that goes onto saying why used chip oil is harder/complex to create a better biodiesel:

Basic bed time reading...

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#biodwvo

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nor did I! When I got it it was dead slow, and had the engine management light flashing. No problem, I thought - probably a dead MAF so the turbo won't be boosting. 60 part and 20 minutes work to fix.
    About a month later I finally decided to open the bonnet, went to check that the turbo wastegate wasn't stuck open or anything.
    Only to find that there was no turbo....:lol:

I think I'll try it on new veggie first, and see how it runs. Then give Her Majesty a ring and see about the duty situation. I suppose if necessary I can make my own bio, add a bit of veggie oil for the authentic smell, and claim I'm running it on straight oil. The cops around here are so busy looking for smuggled or red diesel (huge problem in N. Ireland with people "laundering" red or green diesel (green being from the south of ireland), I think if faced with a car running Crisp 'n' Dry they would just collapse...

7. KieranC Forum Member

i fitted a fuel heater from vow2.co.uk to my 205 1.8 non turbo :( diesel, works ok but it's running a lucas pump and doesn't seem to like more than 50% veg oil in the cold. i also don't seem to get the same economy on veg oil as i do on derv which is odd... you can still buy veg oil for 75p/l ish which isn't bad. i'll have to pick up some more oil and figure it out now it's warming up...

8. Kozy Forum Member

TSC if the car is direct injection it wont handle it, the fuel pressures are so high and the injector spray patterns so fine that the high viscosity oil simply wont flow through it in straight form. It should however be ok with bio diesel.

F*ck paying tax also, the whole point of this is to avoid it completely.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Kozy - is it direct injection? 2004 SDi, I hate diesels so I really haven't a clue, but I thought a 2004 car would be "normal" injection?

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

So that would rule out the pug 306 d turbo then?

11. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

306 td will be fine on veg oil, have a look at some pug owner sites a fair few people doing it. 306 td is a very tuneable car aswell easly get 110bhp and 150ft/lb which makes for a smokey car lol.

12. Seraph Banned

Not sure I'd consider another 20hp as tuneable! :lol:

13. KieranC Forum Member

when 20hp is over 20% increase plus the mods are largely cost free.... i want a 306 d turbo as my next car... make sure it has a bosch injection pump though

14. sportline Forum Junkie

so wheres the cheapest place to buy veggy oil?

15. Kozy Forum Member

I would say it probably is although I can;t say for certain as I know nothing about the SDI engines.

Most engines after about 1998 were DI IIRC.

16. Kozy Forum Member

Just looked it up, it is direct injection TSC, I wouldn't try running anything other than proper biodeisel in it.

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Ah bugger. Cheers anyway!

18. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

No but when you consider that I did this to my old 306 and all I had to do was turn a screw and a bolt and I recon I gained about 20 bhp and a tonne of black smoke [:$] its good compared to getting a new bottom end P+P head and a cam costing a fair few hundred which I what I did to my 8v and it got me about 20bhp aswell!

19. G-Man Forum Junkie

I looked into a 306 TD for a motorway chugger and read the tuning thread.

Seems easy but a bit of a trial and error way of tuning. Basically just says, turn the boost compensator up, turn the boost up by shortening the wastegate arm or screw (depending on turbo) then adjust the Lucas/Bosch fuel till it reduces the smoke to meet the boost.

Most people get around 105-110hp until it suffers from too much heat soak, not bad for a couple of hours under the bonnet and runs trying to get the right setting.