Running on three?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by hardcore dub, May 25, 2007.

1. hardcore dub Forum Member

Hi
    Ive just finished putting a set of twin 40 Delorto dhla's on my 89 8v golf, ive had it on the road about a week and the other day went out in it and had a thrash, as you do, only on the way home it started running on three cylinders, Ive changed the plugs and leads and it still hasnt helped. The other night i went out in it and it was fine for the first 15 minutes then it went again. It is using a points dizzy off a mk1 gl and the carbs have been correctly set up. Ive tested the plugs and they seem to all be sparking fine. Is it a case of one of the carbs coming out of tune slightly??
    Any suggestions to what might be the problem much appreciated!!
    Thanks!

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

If it IS carb related, try and i.d the cylinder thats dropping out when it does it.

Use some insulated pliers, disconnect the plug leads one at a time until you find which cylinder that makes no difference.

Find the relevent barrel of the carb that feeds that cylinder and remove the square jet cover in the centre of the carb. Remove the jets that feed that side of the carb and blow them through with some carb cleaner.

Dispite what some people say, twin sidedraught carbs dont go out of tune, unless the jets are changing themselves during the night or the idle mixture screws are moving on their own !

If the throttle linkage or carb spindles are badly worn and/or slightly twisted then that can affect the way the carbs return to idle.

Do you have an in-line filter fitted ?

3. hardcore dub Forum Member

Yes. I do have a in-line filter which is brand new as is the linkage etc. Thanks for the advice, I will give it ago. i tested the plugs the other night and they all fired fine so ill have a look at the jets. I know they don't really come out of tune especially when ive only done 60 miles or so with them on.
    Thanks

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

are you sure its not a problem with the points system? they arn't known for being the most reliable of ignition systems, I'd be tempted to get a TCI-H system out of a later VW :)
    If I were you I'd get a K-Jet GTI dizzy as well, the advance map is more suited to the GTI cam (which I assume you have, if not, fit one of those as well ;))

5. hardcore dub Forum Member

I have a piper 285 cam. Don't know if this will make a difference?? What model golf is this ignition system off?

6. rubjonny

A mk2 k-jet GTI or carb will have the suitable tci-h ignition system. Basically pop out the plastic scuttle cover and on the driver side you'll find the TCI-H unit bolted to a metal tray, pull that out along with the wiring from it to the coil and dizzy. Ideally a dizzy from a K-Jet GTI would be best, but a carby one will also work. Be aware that the dizzy plugs changed depenging on the age of the car, but you can pop the pins out of em and swap over, so chop off the plug from the donor car if you dont get one with the loom :)

7. hardcore dub Forum Member

Cheers mate, my mates just pranged his b reg k jet so i might have to pop round and see if i can pike the parts then haha:lol:.
    Thanks

8. rubjonny

result :lol: