S3 or R32?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by sutherlandm, Dec 13, 2003.

1. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Just missed out on a nice S3 the other day (all the goodies and those nice 18" alloys) and decided to leave it for a few months and tidy up the mk3 a bit before moving it on.
    Been looking at both the R32 and S3 (as new as possible, not been made for 8 months and the new 3.2 V6 A3 is WAY too heavy and unsporty) and not 100% sure what to go for.
    S3 is Audi so good name, looks great, has a lightish engine, "proper" 4WD (R32 is Haldex), looks nice inside and has BOSE sounds.
    R32 is quicker, still in production (just), sounds better and has the handy ambiguity of just being a Golf!
    Tricky. Currently favour the R32.

2. Rippsy Forum Member

If you don't mind me hijacking whats "Haldex"?

3. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Rippsy - It's not permanent 4wd like on the Audi models.
    Only diverts power/torque to the rear when needed.
    Not 100% sure how it all works but the perm 4wd seems more surefooted

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

S3 any day, far superior car to the R32, in both looks and interiro finsish - goes well aswell :)

5. S1MMA Forum Member

S3 does infact have haldex as well.

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

why would permanent 4wd be better? all it means is that the rear wheels are creating extra drag all the time, even when they dont need to be driven (eg on the motorway cruising along at steady speed in a straight line)

mines gonna be permanent 4wd, but only cos the rallye stuff isnt strong enough to cope with the power otherwise :lol: (not haldex but rear wheels only driven when fronts spin faster than rear, same idea)

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

S3 is very appealing but hard to find a nice one!
    Another thing that influences me but shouldn't is EVO mag. 3.5 stars for S3, a full 5 for the R32.
    I think Audi have gone wrong with the new one - We looked at the top of the range 3.2 (similar to R32 engine) and although damn quick, it just doesn't feel sporty. Only way of identifying it is by the big brake disks and the badge - I like subtle but a 26k 250bhp hatch should have a bit of presence! Weighs almost 1500kg too - More than a 3 series BMW!

8. Jeff Forum Junkie

doesnt an R32 weigh about the the same?

At the end of the day its pretty much the same drivetrain isnt it? same engine design I thought?

9. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Jeff - R32 about 1400, A3 3.2 near 1500. Much less sporty set up - Softer, number steering, etc.
    Very refined and less Max Power than R32 but not really what I'm after.
    Wife prefers R32, but I'm not sure!

10. S1MMA Forum Member

what about tunability, I've been out in a revo'd S3, and it was v fast, much faster than a R32 IMO. It was faster than my friends Fiat coupe 20VT, which is 14.5 standing quarter. I'd say the S3 was nearer 14 dead, or faster even.

11. b'locks Forum Addict

R32!!!

12. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Decisions decisions what will I spend my money on :lol:

13. S1MMA Forum Member

Why not look at an S4, that's what I'd buy. Old shape, 2.7 twin turbo, permanant 4wd with torque splitting diff, and u can get a fully loaded low milage minter for about 18k (xenons standard). Insurance is only a tad more than an S3 as well, and tuning options are brilliant. Most RS4 parts are a straight swap, including intercoolers/clutch/turbo's, and they're audi parts so no insurer will even know!

You know an S4 makes sense:

[​IMG]

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

ok, if you wanna learn more about audi's, go to www.audi-sport.net

my mate has a '52' plate s3 (nogaro blue, blue alcantara), and it is very very nice. a couple of things that aren't so good, is that the seats don't really go low enough for my, and his, liking...but it's only a minor thing. i also, reckon it could seriously do with uprated anti roll bars. the suspension is lovely ride, and quite firm, but the car just roll's a bit too much. but again, that may just be my personal taste. remember for about 600 you can chip one to 280bhp!

from what i've heard about r32's, they're cracking cars. apparantly the chassis is very much better than a normal mkIV, and the s3's. and of course the engine is superb.

if it were me, not that with that money in my pocket i'd go for either (always wanted a scooby), i think i'd go for the r32. and the reason would be the engine...the sound of a 6 cylinder is beautiful. since getting my vr6 i've found that every 4 cylinder engine (and this includes the 1.8t in the s3) sounds lumpy, unrefined and like a diesel! this is especially true when you hear an s3 starting up (same starter motor sound as diesel vag cars!)

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

R32....took delivery last week.

Production has ceased and there are around 25 left in UK.

Must say I was influenced by EVO mag; I don`t always agree with them but do respect their opinions.

Full or part time 4WD ? - VW dealer said `same as Audi`s Quattro just have to call it something else mmmmmmmmmm !

Looked up 4Motion in yahoo and got to the VW USA site which says it uses the Torsen diff. and is 50/50 split until one end starts to slip then it`s 34/66. This site does only refer to the Passat though.

Looked up on Tiscali and this says Haldex i.e. FWD until things slip then clutch / diff at rear end takes up the drive.

Anyway, wife is happy as it`s her`s and I`ve only spent 10 mins in it. Does feel and sound superb though - wonder if it`ll keep up with our (170bhp) Mk1 ?

Cheers

16. S1MMA Forum Member

acf8181, thats why you want a V6 S4! 6 cylinder growl, twin turbo, and all the trimmings!

Only thing is, they're not brand new, or nearly new. And will be hard to find a v low milage example.

17. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, i'll be sticking with what i've got until i win the lotto!!! i do like RS4's...but generally audi's don't excite me enough, but i do respect them.

18. DarrenH Forum Member

as far as i was aware haldex system dished out 50:50 torque split under normal driving conditions. ok, so its not a pure mechanical diff, but suggesting its part time 4x4 i dont understand.

19. S1MMA Forum Member

I think haldex distributes "most" of the power to the front wheels under normal conditions (even 100% of drive in some cases, under a certain speed for example, to facilatate towing on the rear axel etc...) and redistributes torque to both axels if and when they need it.

My friend who had the S3 said if you click your handbrake up one click, then this puts haldex into 100% front drive mode, so u can have a front drive S3 to do burn outs or whatever. So haldex is ultra variable. Don't think there's anything wrong with it or that older quattro systems are superior in any way. I think they're actually inferior, not being able to redistribute power where it's needed (a la Skyline's ATTESA-ETS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All - Electronic Torque Split), or Mitsubishi's system whatever its called).

20. Andy947 Forum Addict

Is it not the case, that with suitable software modification you can actually make the car rear wheel drive? or any configuration?