Sagging Headliner

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Race Inc Steve, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Race Inc Steve New Member

Hi All. Can anyone suggest where I can get a new headliner kit, or headliner for a Golf GTIMk3 16v. Just bought it and need to get this sorted. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Would like to do it fake sued but original colour. Thanks in advance.

2. harryvr6 Forum Member

Hi mate i think the mk2 is (probably) a bit different than a mk3 headliner, i haven't attempted to repair or replace one in my vr but my mk2 needs to be done soon.
    I found this which may be of some help for you?

some good tips here, let us know how you get on!
    harryvr6

PhilRyder likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I followed the above video when I did mine, it is good and comprehensive. The best thing about doing it yourself is you can choose any material you like.
    It will be worth taking yours out first to check whether or not you can simply re-glue it.

harryvr6 likes this.
  4. watercooled Forum Member

Biggest issue is removing the old foam layer from the liner and fabric,in most cases it would have turned to dust,to be honest its better to remove the foam from the panel and recover with new material fabric,most good trim shops will have something suitable.
    The choose of adhesive is really important,it must be a heat rated product I used an Ados F38 product from memory and its waterproof but not sure if it's sold in the UK.
    Did my 87 mk2 GTI with sunroof,liner was made from moulded urethane foam,it was broken in 4 pieces and cracked,took days to fix,my very talented trimmer recovered it for me....he said it wasn't an easy repair and not keen to do another in the future but it turned out really nice.

McPikie likes this.