Scirocco 16v on carbs?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by R1dazza, Oct 18, 2006.

1. R1dazza Forum Member

I'm thinking of junking the K-Jet injection system on my Scirocco gtx, iv'e just droped a KR 16v lump into it and thought that it would be easier to set up on carbs? what size carbs would i need? would i need 45's or would the 40's be big enough? I was thinking of going with the 40's as my mate is running Yam R1 carbs on his astra 16v and the R1 carbs are 40mm. [:s] Any ideas?

2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

do a search for "16v carbs"

easy to do but will need a rolling road tune up

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Bike carbs and car carbs are a different ball game so dont try to compare them. If you plan to keep the engine largely standard apart from the carbs and maybe an exhaust then 40's will be ok with something like a 33mm choke in them (the bit i believe most bike carbs dont have). If you plan on more mods in the future (head/cam work) then go for the 45's now, again with a similar choke size until you start modding further. Use a long trumpet as well, 40-65mm if it'll fit.

4. R1dazza Forum Member

Cheers for that mr hillclimber, i'll keep an eye out for an inlet manifold and carbs. What sort of price will these be?

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Inlet manifolds are around a hundred quid but carbs can vary a fair bit, 40's are cheaper than 45's second hand so decide what you want to achieve before you buy. Also, be VERY careful when buying used Webers (or Dellorto's), there are a LOT of rubbish out there (ask yrself why they're being sold) and ensure you get a matching pair of carbs, check the numbers on them. You will also need a fuel pump and regulator/filter king, throttle linkage (genuine Weber type preferred) and trumpets if they dont come with the carbs plus filters. Look at the classifieds in Motorsport news.