Scirocco Storm Havana Brown

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by theoriginalmarkd, Aug 18, 2009.

1. theoriginalmarkd Forum Member

I have a chance to purchase this car and was out looking at it today. it seems good all over bearing in mind it is 25 years old. theres a small tear in the drivers bolster and leather cracking but not too bad and the engine seems to have been rebuilt (though not sure when but all the hoses, rubbers, etc all seem relatively new).

a small bit of surface rust at the opening side of the drivers door and just below the trim on the centre pillar.

i think i can get this car for good money, but what should i specifically check for as i have not owned this model of vw before?

any help would be much appreciated.

2. Admin Guest

Look for rust all over, underneath, suspension towers etc.

body work is the bear bug of cars of this age.

3. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Fuel system, filler neck and lift pump.
    The rocco storm uses a smaller fuel tank than the normal rocco's for some reason.
    This means the lift pump is shorter, if there's rust in the tank from the filler neck (normal) this will break the teeth off the lift pump.
    The lift pump is not available now and original filler necks in as new condition go for about 100 on ebay

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

is that a mk1 scirocco?

probably same problems as the mk1 golf - check the rear beam to body mountings.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

rust and missing trim items , they rust badly and not many body panels are available

most mechanical bits can be sorted easily ..the leather can be re dyed at home for cheap

6. eamon1.3 Forum Member

In my experience filler necks and rear suspension turrets are the worst areas. All other areas seem to be better than most golfs of the same age. Still give it a good going over though. All early mk2s had the smaller tank, not just the storm.

They are an awesome car though, and you can say you have one of only 300 ever made :thumbup:

7. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Makes me feel even more gutted having to sell my abf one.[:^(]

8. theoriginalmarkd Forum Member

hmm, have to do a bit more homework. its hpi'ing as a 84 vw jetta that was an insurance write off in 98!!!(cat d- repairable but insurer decided not to repair) but i was told this was the original reg. thanks for the advice above guys, i think this is probably an hpi error of some description but you cant be too careful. luckily i have the contacts to find these things out easily enough.