Scirocco Track car?

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by 2dubnick, Jun 22, 2007.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Anyone got one? Im after a cheap track car project and thought the sirocco would be a good start especially if I smash it a new shell is cheap :lol:. Will most mk1/mk2 upgrade parts fit on it? i.e big brakes, coil overs, anti roll bars?

I know that lots of people on here own them so how do they handle? Ill probebly be selling my mk2 to fund this eventually so im going to have around 1500 to spend, also what engines go in easily? I just been to nurburgring and had am amazing time in my 125bhp golf which weighs about 4tonnes so im not after anything crazy.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

oh yea and what specs do they come in? im after something which has no power steering or electric windows but rear disc brakes as standard would be nice (I can fit them if not, but would prefer factory fitted)

3. Throbbe Forum Member

Rear disks only came as standard on uber rare 16v GTX's. None of them had power steering, and electric windows are rare, but were an option on later cars. I'd be looking at a GTi, GTX or a later Scala (early ones had the 90bhp carb, leter ones 112 bhp 1.8i)

Have a look on Scirocco Register.

4. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

The Mk2 Scirocco is based on the Mk1 Golf so loads of mechanical bits are interchangable. Engine/brakes/suspension options are pretty much identical to Mk1 Golf. They go, stop and handle well. They are cheap to buy in pretty good condition compared to equivelent age/spec Golfs.

5. Jonny777 Forum Member

Can you fit a VR6 in them if they're MK1 based?
    Sorry to rob the thread a tad! :lol:

6. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

Technically you can fit a VR in one BUT it's not a simple swap by any means.

Far better engine options are G60 or 16v as these will pretty much bolt it (relative to a VR) and can make pretty close to the same power.

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

cheers for that, so what does everyone reckon good start for a cheap track car? Will probably just put a 16v with a 2l bottom end for an engine conversion, also what do they weigh?

8. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

If you're serious about a Scirocco track car try and find an early 82-84 mk2 if you can. These don't have the later cars' bodykit and so are a lot lighter. Models to look out for are the GTI (1.6 then 1.8 K-jet), the CL and the GL (both carb). The main problem with the earlier cars of course is rust so check the rear arches.

VW factory quoted weights are complete *******s but fwiw the mk2s supposedly weigh in between 850kg and 920kg depending on what year and extras were fitted.

This is my 82 track car -

[​IMG]

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

that looks nice! iv got a pug 306 with some damage thats going on ebay next week so hopefully should give me a few hundred quid to find me a average starting base, my resto project mk1 cab is done now so fancied something different and track focused, but still very cheap lol

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  10. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

That looks really sweet :thumbup:

11. mexicorich Forum Member

Body kit weighs very little on a Skyrocket and you can remove it anyway so don't wory about that
    Truly fab cars
    Lighter and more aerodynamic than any Golf means they are quicker than an equivalent engined Golf

12. BULL

BULL Forum Member

Get One Sharpish.

www.mobile.de
    should be able to turn up a lhd GTX 16v with rear discs, 256mm front discs, no sunroof basic interior etc, in roadworthy condition. perfect track project.

if not get yourself a uk spec GTI, GTX or post 1989 scala, all had the 1781cc 8v k-jet engine.

underneath its a mk1 golf so spares, tuning bits are cheap and plentiful.

there are plenty of good uns out there, generally they dont rot away like mk1 golfs because of better anti corrosion protection.

i'm on my second one, the first a mint lowmilage 1990 GTII, currently an '86 GTX 16v, no sunroof etc etc.

both cars were perfectly sound underneath with no rot whatsoever,
    even cars i come accross in breakers yards seem to be in good nick, its just that they don't like being driven into lamp posts.:lol: :lol:

see mine here:http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=124647

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

wow good info guys and now im thinking this idea is great! anyone got any good sources on were to buy used sciroccos? ebay and autotrader aren't turning up many results.

14. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

www.sciroccoregister.co.uk and then click forums - there's a stripped mk2 for sale right now.

Ebay is also good - I picked up a 1990 1.8i Scala for 73 last year and the "Scumball Rally" Scirocco for 150. Broke both for parts naturally :lol:

15. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

Your best bet is to have a look around for afew engines and see what comes up at the right price.

An 1.8 or 2.0 16v from a Mk2 Golf or Audi 80 is a good option and these run K-Jet too so not too dificult as you can use MK1 GTI parts to get it running. Other fueling option is to run it on Twin DCOE 40 Weber carbs!!

A 2.0 16v from a Mk3 GTI is a decent option but only after a re-chip and cam change - instantly releases loads more power.

A 1.8 G60 supercharged unit from a Corrado or Golf Mk2 is also a good option. These engines with a re-map and motorsport pulley conversion make big power pretty easily too.

Out of interest, where abouts are you? If you are in Newcastle/Durham/Sunderland area I know someone who might be persuaded to part with his Scirocco...

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

always wanted a engine with carbs but im thinking of saving that project for winter on the convertible as a mk1 cab on carbs would be lovely! Most likely to go for the 16v engine option running kjet just because i want this done quick and cheap, they always seem to be a few tuned engines on ebay going cheap as its always hard to tell how honest the seller is being so i will be looking out now.
    Im in cardiff and workshop in worcester, so need something near worcester really.