Scrap Audi A3 1.8T - which bits needed for Golf conversion?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Stu, May 17, 2009.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

My mate has chanced across a nice Audi A3 1.8T in a scrappy and has the chance to buy as many bits of it as he needs for a Mk1 / Mk2 Golf conversion. He doesn't actually have a Golf at the moment... and thankfully I don't have one that requires an engine swap either but may put the bits in stock for future projects.

So, what bits does he need from the Audi?

1. Engine
    2. Gearbox?
    3. ECU
    4. Engine wiring looms
    5. Dash board clocks?
    6. Steering column / ignition barrel / keys etc? Thinking about immobiliser issues?

Any other bits required or worth having? Don't know the year of the car, 50-something reg, presumably that'll affect the engine code / power / compatibility?

Good job I've not still got a Mk2 Golf or it'd be all going in there I expect and the knuckle skinning would begin again... [:$]

Also, what should he be paying for the bits assuming all in good order (the A3 runs fine at the moment and is complete)?

Thanks
    Stu

2. Admin Guest

1-6 would make it a very easy conversion to do.

3. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

like jon says all of those things would make for a very easy conversion. if your removing it all yourself then maybe 600ish for the lot?

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Will it matter what engine code it is? Are any better than others, I know some have cable throttles and some don't, does it matter?

Also wondering whether the brake calipers are worth having? Presumably the rears are the same as Mk4 Golf's and the front will be 280 or 288's but 5-stud?

5. micky1 Forum Member

Buy the lot, you can then pick the parts you need. Cheaper in the long run.

6. Admin Guest

it'll be an AGU which is a real easy one to convert.

7. AbtoBa3 New Member

hi thanks Stu for posting the question on here, i didnt know where to post it and as there was lots of conversions done, i was reading and got quite confused.

I get the car next weekend to take the motor out of. I dont know what year it is exactly, i know its the early shape, so can i just add some questions to stus list

So, what bits does he need from the Audi?

1. Engine

The motor, i havnt had a look at it yet, will it be fly by wire or cable? DO i need the rad, and any parts of the audi engine mounts?

2. Gearbox?

I havnt bought this yet! I defonatly would be best to get it?

3. ECU
    4. Engine wiring looms
    5. Dash board clocks?
    6. Steering column / ignition barrel / keys etc? Thinking about immobiliser issues?

Is the engine loom stand alone or is it part of the main loom? How far do i need to go! I get the feeling taking the motor out is the easy part!

Am i best getting drive shafts too?

Are the calipers worth anything?

Im trying to work out if i should make him an offer on the whole car to strip!

thankyou!

8. Admin Guest

you'll be best off reading Qpeng for their guide, covers the use of this engine found in the A3.

9. AbtoBa3 New Member

what is qpeng please?

10. Admin Guest

11. AbtoBa3 New Member

ah fantastic, i looked at the main page the other day, but never looked inside of the site properly but this looks perfect!

So, please have a look at this

CLICK HERE

There is a list of parts there of stuff you will need for a conversion to a 1991 golf 8v, that s a mk2 isnt it? Or is that a mk3!

Anyway, the list of things to get, if i get all that, is that what people who do this conversion usualy do? i mean buy ECU kits and that sorts out the fly by wire stuff too...

I mean, should i just get that stuff and leave the rest?

thanks!

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Yes, the list on the site is for a Mk2 (as it says...)

If you go for an aftermarket ECU (Qpeng`s plug and play for example), then the only loom you will need from the donor car will be the engine one.

The standard ECU has two plugs; one for the engine loom, and one linking it to the rest of the main loom. The hardest part there would be stripping out all the un-necessary wiring to allow you to use the standard ECU (it`s a big loom!)

If the engine you have is fly-by-wire, then you have two options; either modify the Mk4 accelerator pedal to fit your Mk2, or;

Swap the throttle body for a cable actuated one (from an AGU engine for instance). This would require some extra wiring to the ECU.

The best option, would be to get everything you can off the donor car, then sort out what you don`t need. That way you won`t miss anything, and you`ll have some parts to sell on to offset the initial cost.

13. AbtoBa3 New Member

well i asked for the motor so i could put it into a mk2 golf, and the guy said that i could have anything i wanted to make it run for this set low price!

What about the gearbox? Will this motor go onto a standard mk2 box, or do i need thie 1800t one too?

thanks!

14. Admin Guest

you can use the original box, the mk2 a GTI?

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

You can use your original `box, but really you`d be better off using a later (stronger) `box.

You could use the one from the donor car, but you will need to buy/fabricate a modified rear mount for it.

The easier option would be to source an O2A `box. These were fitted to Mk3 Golfs, Corrados, and Passats, and would fit straight in on original mounting points.

In either case you would also need the shifter and cables that match the `box.

Try using the search function here, since all the questions you have, have been asked and answered many times before. :thumbup:

16. AbtoBa3 New Member

thanks mate for the help! Ill have a look around now!