Scrapyard Bargains - Or Are They?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Dietrich, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Dietrich Forum Member

Full set of GTi arches (will be ripping them off myself so I assume the fittings are all there) and the little sideskirts - 30 the lot.
    I know the arches can go for something like 20 each new so it sounds good - just thought I'd check.

Big bumpers (seem in good condition - one foglight missing and the front one's already off so I don't know if the fittings are there) - 70 the pair. Any good?

Secondly - fitting these arches which I'm gonna' get tomorrow. No idea how to take them off and no idea how to get them on. I'm assuming they'll go onto my 91 1.3 Ryder - they're off a 91 GTi. Ultimately I'll bodge taking them off, but it's getting them back on. Will I be able to put them on with small bumpers (until I can afford the big bumpers ;))?

Tom

2. Simon Forum Member

i know the mk3 arches are just riverted on so if there the same just get a drill and use that to get them off, then you can either rivert them back on or what i would do is use some nuts and bolts so you can take them off if you wanna clean behind them or summin

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

lets see

you can get arches for 20 for 4 i beleive, mine were about 15 total, not much use trying to keep the rivets...

my back big bumper was 20, the front (no fogs, see my bargain post) 15 with a parcel shelf

to get em off you can either carefully remove/drill the rivets or just simply really yank the trim, it'll either tare the plastic around the rivet or pop the rivet out.

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

oh and i got the skirts a bit later on for 5 with fittings

if the brackets for your bumpers arnt there, jetta's had the bigger style brackets from what ive seen

5. Dietrich Forum Member

Damn, looks like this scrapyard ain't cheap, but I kinda knew that when they asked for 80 for some crap alloys.
    Still, 30 for the trims all round I can live with - I'll pick them up tomorrow morning - taking along my mate's cordless drill to assist the process. Might go for the GTi center-panel inside too - it's got room for buttons and is basically better than my current one.
    I'll pass on the bumpers this time then.
    Cheers.

Tom

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

well i may just have very cheap scrappy's round here :p

all but one [:x] stupid bunch of gimps at that place!

haglle em down on the prices, usually doesnt work but hey! tell em you can get the bumpers new for 40 each, then they'll tell you to go and get em then! :p

7. Dietrich Forum Member

Aye I'll have a go with the prices.
    Final question - will the GTI arches go on with my small bumpers?

Tom

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

Do not listen to any of this crap in the previosu post!!!

You are listenin to a compete amateur!!!

They know nothing

i fi wasnt so wasted and completely un arsed to reply properly i would, but i'm not

maybe tomorrow

9. Rahul Forum Junkie

10. Lowride Forum Member

You can get bargains at a scrap yard, its gettin harder though

A few yrs ago one of my mates bought three G60 arches for 5, the forth arch was later found in the boot of the same car
    My old mk2 had a flushed tailgate, we needed to make a box for the numberplate. I went to my local scrappy and cut up a Pug 309 rear bumper and gave him 3 for the box which had lights and wiring. Fair enough he would have gone mad if he`d had known that I`d just cut up a whole bumper but he wanted 15 for the whole thing

[8D]

11. destructiv dave Forum Member

20 for 4 arches I believe. You are right,but they are the wrong arches. The 90 spec arches are 25 each.

70 for big bumpers is not too bad if they are genuine and are in good nick (GSF and ECP do pattern ones for 40ish each, but some say the quality is not as good)

If you are taking the stuff off yourself, you may as well do it properly (rivetted on for the arches, and the sills use a fitting kit that is stuck on the sill of the car and the plastic sill clips into it. Lift up the jacking point covers at each end as there should be a screw or rivet.)

You can fit 90 spec GTI arches and sills with small bumpers but the arches are deep (to mate up to the big bumper) and can look a bit odd. You will also need the side strips (80 for a set) to mate up to the arches.

12. swax Forum Member

Another option is to buy off a fellow dubber...

try the German & Swedish forum, PVW forum. and maybe even Ebay...

Also, http://www.gpcvwaudi.com are good. (Luton)

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Stick em on with glue.

14. Dietrich Forum Member

Well, we went, we saw and ultimately we conquered.
    Started by taking off the arches (bodged the first one, just kinda' ripped it off) but I got the technique dialled with the drill in the end getting them off cleanly. In the end there were only 3x big arches - the 4th arch from another Golf was the small bumper version.
    Thoroughly annoyed at what I'd failed to realise (hey I'm new to this) I was ready to go home, but looked at my cash situation 65, and thought about what I could do. Good job my mate was there to keep things going or I'd have left with nothing at all.
    So we ripped the side-skirts off (they were stuck on with silicon anyway). I guess I'll silicon them again - not a problem - hopefully.
    After that, in the mud using jacks from neighbouring Golfs we managed to get the car off of its belly (no wheels) up enough to get the bumpers off. The bolts were hella' rusty and 3 of them on the rear snapped - great. Lots of getting p***** off / wrench breaking later we got 'em off.
    Spotted a spoiler on the same GTi and had that too. Nice Chrome VW badge too.
    The bumpers are in great nick too (missing fog lamp but nevermind) and the sideskirts are bigger than on another GTi they had.
    Got the lot in for 60. I'm happy.
    They just need a rub-down, priming then spraying. I think I'll do this myself and see how it looks. If it's crap I can always get them done.

Tom

15. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

eeexcelent good buy [:D]

i got some 16v half tints for 15 today, and a tape deck thing that fits in the centre console (god knows why, thats where my stereo is!), a ryder badge, and a driver badge

all good fun

ill get some stick on sill trims one day, and some bloody doorcards!!!!!!