Seat Leon TDI tuning

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Dan W, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

looking to up the power of my turbo weasel leon, are those tdi tuning boxes on fleabay worth the plastic they're moulded in, i've driven a 2007 transporter running one and it seemed to go really well, the owner was well pleased with it but they seem too cheap.
    Anyone had experience with these? [:s]

mine's a 2000 tdi se 115bhp standard bar a k&n panel filter

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

whats the engine code? as it will be just tune the same as the equilivant golf etc,

bewarery of tuning boxes, the good ones cost, the cheap ones are just resistors in a funky looking box and just fool the ecu to over fuel by making it think its colder than it is, not good at all. tbh just get a remap.

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

For that price, i think for around 300-350 you'll get a generic remap which will take the 115hp upto around 145hp if I remember correctly?

Stay away from cheap tuning boxes, never work as well as a good remap which will be undertaken by someone who has a superior understanding of the engines and tuning tolerences.

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Is there any real gains from downpipe and exhaust mods like you'd do on a petrol turbo, I only ask 'cause the standard system is quite a large bore already and apart from maybe losing a silencer it looks pretty unrestricted, plus I think diesels sound bloody awful with big exhausts.

5. James_mk2 Forum Member

I put a decat pipe on mine (only because my standard downpipe snapped :lol: ) and it makes a lovely whistling noise when moving it around and a bit more turbo noise when booting it.
    The other thing i've noticed since doing the decat is it really gets a second rush of power from 3,500 to 4,500 whereas before it petered out a bit by 4k (this is with a remap though). I don't know if this is partly due to changing the boost solenoid valve at the same time (the old one melted at the same time the exhaust snapped :lol: ) but it certainly shifts now and you get a nice subtle whistle from the exhaust at idle too but the exhaust not itself isn't louder despite now being straight through from the turbo to the backbox.
    Wouldn't want to take off/change the backbox though i think diesels with exhausts sound poo