SEAT Servicing

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by garnetteyes, Dec 31, 2009.

1. garnetteyes Forum Member

I've got a SEAT Ibiza FR (130PD TDi)

I'm being told that as it's 4 years old its due a cambelt change (400's worth), in the manual it says nothing about timescale, all it says is 100000KM which translates to 62000 miles.

I'm being told if I don't have it done now my warranty will be void??!! My car's only done 38000miles and in my mind doesn't need a cambelt change.

In my opinion if I'm sticking to what the handbook says they surely can't go back on the warranty.

Any advice/ideas welcome.

Nick

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

surely the manual says something about x number of miles or x number of years, whichever is sooner etc

3. garnetteyes Forum Member

Can't see it anywhere, 6 years is mentioned on somethings.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ask on a seat board tbh not many cars on here would have the pd130 lump. worth finding out, the dealer might not be trying to stitch you up if its genuinely due

5. leontdi Forum Member

i have 110 bhp leon tdi at 100000 , i asked how much for a service and the lady at seat asked when was cambeltdone , 60k i say she says oh seat changed interval to 40 , its 320 on top of service still not had it done but if its in warranty maybe its worth it i dont know if its a line to get more business or genuine as she said she never heard of one snapping .

6. Supercharged Forum Member

I thought it was 60k on all 130's and only 40k on older 115 PD's but they may have revised the info...

38k sounds early but I'd get it done at 50k, especially if it's re-mapped!

My late 115 engine was done at 62k and the belt looked awful - it's the torque and cam driven injectors that kills them, even with the thicker belt they wear way more than a 16V MK2 would do!

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

320 for the cambelt fitted?

Man thats steep! we'd only charge around 220 and thats using gen vag parts

8. Classy6 Forum Member

The time scale for the cam belt is then 4 years/62,000miles. On this basis it's what ever arrives first so 4 years.

9. PeteS Paid Member Paid Member

My VW had to have a cambelt change at 4 years or 50k miles. I got the cambelt changed at 4 years but the car had only done 35k miles. If the cambelt goes then it makes a mess of the engine. The garage should also change the tensioner at the same time and some think that the water pump should be changed as well. My VW garage wanted 500 but agreed to price match Stafford Audi who wanted 275. It might be worth looking them up on ebay as they advertise the cambelt offer on ebay.
    Hope this helps.
    Pete Seeva

10. garnetteyes Forum Member

I know the cambelt failing will bend my valves etc... But my point is, if I'm following the service schedule as per the handbook surely I should be covered??

What's annoying is, I can't just do it myself (as it'd affect the warranty). I have to take it to them and they charge far too much.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

in your original post you said no schedule was mentioned? if you dont fancy changing it, dont, no one is forcing you to, and i doubt seat set the schedule at 4 years for the benefit of their health

12. andyj Forum Member

I'm 99% sure that the service schedule for the cambelt is either 60k/80k (engine dependant) or 4 years, which ever comes sooner.

I think you'll find that the warranty doesn't cover 'consumable' items for wear&tear, such as belts/brake pads etc etc

So therefore if your cambelt did fail even if it was within the service schedule, it's not covered under the warranty.

Why not just get a local garage to do it? As long as they're VAT registered, then the 'warranty' on the car won't be affected, and you'll have a full stamped service book.

13. smillsey Forum Member

vag made an update a couple of years ago to include the "4 year" condition too, as they found a car could obviously take 10 years to do 60k but its not the mileage more the degrading of rubber in the belt, cause it to stretch then snap.

bang goes your engine.

14. Supercharged Forum Member

Regardless of the mileage / age though it's checked at every service and if noticeably worn they will recommend replacement.

You may get it done cheaper at an independent but make sure they know what they are doing and have the right locking tools - they must use genuine parts too, so important on these engines as the torque puts a massive strain on the belt, even though it's been uprated from the original TDI's with that in mind.

300 is about right for an all-in menu price but you might find some dealers will do it a bit cheaper - worth ringing round.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i wouldnt put money on it being all in. call them and ask what they do actually change

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The service schedule is 4 years / 60k for the cambelt.

17. leontdi Forum Member

**** i hope mine is ok it was done at 60k as advised but then seat said 40 so its done 106k now .

hope to get it done at 110 although maybe next month now .