seats for mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by tonyvw, Sep 4, 2011.

1. tonyvw Forum Member

anyone relaced their standard gti seats for mk3 mk4 mk5 seats? can it be done?
    Cheers

2. mk2abf Forum Member

plenty threads on this mate !

wont fit unless you make frames or change the bases

corrado ones fit straight in tho

3. tonyvw Forum Member

ok cheers, thats what i thought regarding making some frames

4. tonyvw Forum Member

cant find anything which covers this ..im sure iv seen it done tho:thumbup:

5. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

Only thing that limits you is your imagination, fabrication skills and budget.

6. tonyvw Forum Member

No skills or budget! plenty of imagination lol

7. pervinmervin21 Forum Member

mate at edition 38 today i saw a mk2 with a mini cooper dash etc tha looked sweet so anything can be done with time and not alway money ; )
    time = money not always.....
    time = patients with help : )

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Mk3 Recaros need the outer leg moved in, worth it though. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

10. tonyvw Forum Member

looks stunning mate! iv seen some fiesta rs recaros which maybe i could fit by seat frames to somehow but then its a case of matching some rear bench seats....also seen some audi tt recaro seats which look good!
    I was going to just replace my worn seats with better gti ones but the recaros look much nicer imo

11. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

Vauxhall seats can be nice, recaro without the vw price tag. Ford RS seats can be had out of scrap yards etc. Just make sure if you do fabricate a sub frame that it's done well as you don't want it collapsing in an accident or during spirited driving resulting in the former!

12. tonyvw Forum Member

definately mate! will have a go at fitting my sub frames to some recaros of some sort, think they need to be tacked then welded in place to be a good strong fit..i guess the tricky part is the seat position! seen some nice vauxhall ones too and what the hell...they are recaros after all

13. phil gti New Member

i have fitted seat ibiza cupra gti half leathers seats in my mk2 gti for the fronts you have to bend the runner by the door inwards and you need the rear seat brackets so you have got a 60 40 rear seat

14. rubjonny

the ford recaros can be converted to mk2 fitment easily. what you do is cut off the frame from the bottom so you are left with a completly flat base, then all you do is fit 6 captive nuts or rivnuts to the holes already there in the base. get on ebay.de and you'll see recaro subframes come up quite often and if you're on there long enough eventually you'll get a bargain

15. tonyvw Forum Member

cheers buddy very helpful:thumbup: am i right in thinking the ford recaros are mainly grey colour? i havent seen any black ones which would be ideal for me

16. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Sierra Cosworth black leather will do nicely.

17. Blue MK2 Forum Member

just buy my mk2 electric recaro's and be done with this topic :lol:

Sorry but anythng ford in these cars should be made illegal [:-B]

18. rubjonny

yeah fords are mostly grey velwhore, but if you're planning a retrim they're ideal. like mk2 Recaros but better! i was planning to use the ford bits as a base with mk2 fabric, then add the trim for the leg bolster. the ford seats are basically identical to mk2 apart from that and the foams/fabrics for the base are almost the same except for the extendy bit. would be an easy job to trim but i just couldn't be bothered in the end as it would mean having to source more red stripe trim to cover it. some seats also have a handy gubbins pocket on the back!

in fact ford seats are the same as higher spec aftermarket recaro seats, but with the dodgy base on them. you often see the aftermarket recaros on ebay, usually they have the grey/blue square trim on the middle cushions and black bolsters. you'll know what I mean when you see it.

just make sure they're from a 2 door with the tilt handles, cos you cant convert 4 door ones as the mech is buried inside a box thats welded shut.

blue does that mean im not allowed the dual tilt handle ford backrest frames that are inside my red stripe vw recaros, or the 2 ford bolsters in the passenger base :(

they dont have ford part numbers on if that helps, just recaro stickers :lol:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  19. tonyvw Forum Member

thanks john i know the ones you mean im keeping a look out on ebay for some im after black really but a re trim isnt out of the question! im sure i can fabricate the gols subframes to fit some recaros and yep will make sure i get them from a 2 door, cheers buddy

20. tonyvw Forum Member

how about vauxhal omega seats? too big?