secret switch

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by erantomer, Nov 6, 2008.

1. erantomer Forum Member

i still prefer to disconnect the wire to the starter cos' i might forget about it, so everytime i'll crank it once in vain.
    think about it- 2 cranks instead of one= the starter, battery and switch will live 50% less:lol:
    and as trev16v said- if the sonny plays with the switches while driving it won't get us killed[:D] .

2. Dono Forum Member

a friend of mine rigged his ignition curcuit to the cig lighter, if the lighter wasn't in, it wont start, i thought it was really clever, i have my alarm with immob, steering lock/crook lock, and also a switch hidden in the car. most people bury the switch at the back of that VAG letterbox near your knees.

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

try reading the thread before you post ;)

4. thegave Forum Member

I just bought one of these would I be able to rig up a switch or would it only be accessible through the engine bay?

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

That is a switch...

Mount it in the car somewhere and take the big red `key` with you when you leave it.

6. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

correct me if im wrong, cant you take the ht coil lead out or something

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

you could as a one off but not every day,did it once and flattened my batery trying to start it,it was only when put my hand in my pocket to ring a mate i found the lead,never again

8. thegave Forum Member

Wouldn't the HT lead be fairly obvious to spot if a potential thief popped your hood?

StuMC, it looks as if it's supposed to go right next to the battery? If I put it inside the car what would I wire it up to?

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yes if he knows what to look for but how many theives would carry a coil lead around with them:lol: i think todays kind of theif would just nick an AA breakdown truck and take your car without anyone thinking anything was wrong

10. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Well, no matter where it`s mounted, it`ll still be connected to the same thing...;)

...most likely the starter motor circuit.

Mounting it next to the battery would just be the easiest, since it`s very close to the starter motor and it`s wiring.

When you receive it, read the instructions, and determine which circuit it splices into, then mount it where ever you like and extend the wiring accordingly.

TBH honest though (without meaning to cause offence) I`m guessing electrics isn`t your forte. Probably best getting someone else to do it/help you in that case.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

11. thegave Forum Member

Yeah maybe I'll get the garage to do it when I take it in for a service.

Keep soldering irons the heck away from me.

12. Steve B Forum Junkie

anyone have a little more info on how to do the switch for the low tension coil circuit that chris mentioned i.e. which wires to cut etc?

wouldnt mind giving this a go at some point

13. neil kaye Forum Junkie

trace the wire(black wire)from ign housing to the coil and cut anywere you feel is secret,best to do this while engine is running and when you cut the wire and engine cuts out you know you have the right one,on mk2's there are two blacks i think its the thicker one of the two,when youv found the right one solder one side of the switch to the ign housing side of the cut and solder the other side to the coil side,then tape it up so you cn hide it

14. erantomer Forum Member

does the wire go straight to the coil without any fuse or relay?

15. neil kaye Forum Junkie

mmm not too sure i doubt a fuse,poss a relay tbh but a quick glance at the wiring diagram shows the black wire from the coill goes to the t.c.i and f.e.i which are bothe situated top left under the bonnet under the plastic trim
    onje of the blacks is the ign anyway and one will be x contact for wipers etc,so just trace it as low down as poss realy but out of sight