Securing fibreglass tailgate?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mikesdubs, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mikesdubs Forum Member

Whats the best way to secure a fibreglass tailgate and also the lightest? Would bonnet tie pins be best?

Also has anyone ever had fibreglass doors done before on a mk1? if so how costly is it and who is able to do them?

I spoke to barratt20076489 on ebay he said things like doors and front and rear panels he would only do if a few of us wanted them.

2. mickey marrows Forum Member

my fibreglass tailgate is held on with 4 alloy bonnet pins.. I also run fibreglass door skins which are great...

3. mikesdubs Forum Member

Cool, so your tailgate doesnt even have hinges connected? you find that saves a little more weight? Who did you get the doorskins from-are they standard on the inner side? Thanx :)

4. mickey marrows Forum Member

My tailgate is just the outer skin, just covers the hole :)

The doorskins were made for Maurice Reeves mk1 but don't know who made them. They're pop rivet to a heavily chopped inner door frame, extremly flimsy, extremely noisey, but very very light...

5. mikesdubs Forum Member

Lol thats sounds the buisness, thats what im going for, a super slim fast mk1 for the track :lol:

What kind of cage you using? Hopefully by the end of feb mine will be going in for a full on space frame, cant wait [}:)]

Cheers pal.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

AW Tracksport - they'll still have the moulds

7. mikesdubs Forum Member

Perfect. Thanx Chris :thumbup:

8. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

OLD thread revival, sorry.

how you stop fumes from the exhaust being sucked into the car if there are no rear seals?

Are your doorskins bonded to a chopped metal door frame ?

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

You see a lot of racing cars that have vent holes cut in the back panel, never mind a few gaps where the seals used to be. Is exhaust draw a big issue? I'd have thought the pressure would be lower outside, as it's moving faster, so tend to suck air out of the cabin, rather than into it.

10. thegave Forum Member

Peter Jones has an excellent write up on securing a fibreglass hatch to his MK1 Kamei replica in his members' rides thread.

11. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I agree, but my airflow tests show the air flowing up the rear screen. The area between the seal on outer panels has quite a lot of exhaust soot buildup, suggesting the fumes are filling the area up to the seal.

The Kamei build is fantastic, but it appears his is a double-skin tailgate, not just the outer.

12. screaming lord poodle New Member

Sorry to jump on the thread here but does anyone know where i can get a fibreglass tailgate (or any other fibreglass panels) for my mk 2 ?

Cheers.

13. mickey marrows Forum Member

You can't beat a bit of old thread revival.. :)

I've not had an issue with exhaust fumes, although having five 3" diameter holes in the rear screen helps as it changes the pressure inside the cabin.

As for doorskins they are Sikaflexed AND pop riveted to the metal door frame, the pop rivets aren't pretty, but I don't trust the Sikaflex on its own due to inperfect nature of the interface between the skin and frame..